Model Ventilation Fan - Daylight inspired

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Yep. And the sewer model's lip (the amount the far-left highlighted area juts up/down) isn't as big as I wish it was :D

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
just to ease things up for me, could you maybe be kind enough to illustrate/paint over the image to make me realize how it should be instead ?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
fann.jpg

Is what I believe Terr wants you to do. Possibly even moreso. I dunno; either way you're going to be Carving a cylinder out of the wall, making a func_detail, and boxing in the area behind.

It seemed to compile and run fine, but for some reason the fan's not moving. Was there anything special I needed to set other than to make it a prop_dynamic?

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Set the default animation to "idle"

Leaving it blank would make it have no set animation and thus, not spin.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Yep, I figured that was it. Thanks.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
okey, i made some updates today, 4 different skintones and 4 animations titled "idle" "fast" "slow" and "stop".
Moreover like Void and stevethepocket mentioned you have to set the Default Animation" to one of the above mentioned animations and use a prop_dynamic or else it won't spin ingame. best advice would be to use the model viewer to see the animation speeds :)
on top of that i included a sloppy hammer file, that shall illustrate how could use the fan model ingame. but i guess it's against every mapping law in the world, so bare with me. guess i'll remove the reference map in the final release :D

on top of that, i have a question to you mappers. Void asked me to do an alternative collision box that only includes the outer lip and the rotor machine inside the actual fan blades. he said that'll result in better shadow casting for him. would every other mapper need that as well ? or shall i leave the collision box as it is ? and would you want the outer lip as big as in voids example ? it's sized as the sewer_cap model now. better, Terr ?

Download:
http://acumen-design.de/projects/show/fan.rar

Void-Alteration
fan_void.jpg

Skin-Variation
fan_variation.jpg

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Have you done the lights yet :(
Lolz dont worry im not being mean im just really looking forward to your light and lamps pack.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
maybe i shall just release the ones i have so far :)

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
on top of that, i have a question to you mappers. Void asked me to do an alternative collision box that only includes the outer lip and the rotor machine inside the actual fan blades. he said that'll result in better shadow casting for him.]
Wait, is that why the shadow was super long on my first try? I had figured it was because the light was bouncing in from an odd direction and just disabled it. I don't think there's any real reason to keep the shadow turned on anyway, since the fan is going to be mounted flush against a wall where it wouldn't cast much of one IRL.