Resource icon

CTF up the hill 0.01

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Can you upload some more screenshots?

Also I suggest adding a version number to the end of your map name. Not only is it good etiquette, but the TF2M servers have a bug where maps don't update if the new file has the same filename as an old file

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Sorry for doubleposting, but I downloaded your map to give it a quick run-through, and it has some pretty big (but easy to fix) problems.

Firstly, your map has no gamemode prefix. Since your map is capture the flag, you need it put "ctf_" in front of your map name.

Secondly, your map is in fullbright, meaning that your map has no lighting, or broken lighting, so the game just shows everything equally bright. This can be solved by putting actually lighting into your map, and then making sure that the map is sealed.

Third, the flags are uncaptureable. I went on each team, grabbed the flag, and ran back to my team's flag room. It didn't cap, so the capture logic is probably missing. Check up on the Valve Developer Wiki or (just use the prefab from A Boojum Snark's Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack if you're lazy) to see how to make the logic work.

Forth, the spawn room and the flag room are right next to each other. This lets players spawncamp the enemy team while they're grabbing the flag, even doubly so when there's no spawn door like in your map. You should move things around so it's less easy to spawncamp, or at least add a spawn door.

Fifth, and most importantly, your map is really small. A large box with a spire in the middle does not a map make. Take a look at some official CTF maps, and even some finished community CTF maps, to see how build their maps and how they flow.

These threads cover most of my gripes and then some, so read through them and make sure your map meets the criteria.
https://tf2maps.net/threads/readme-1st-common-tf2-mapping-mistakes-and-how-to-fix-them.3050/
https://tf2maps.net/threads/what-to-do-after-posting-your-first-map.29557/

This feedback doesn't mean you should stop mapping. Everyone starts off bad. Take this feedback, learn from it, and improve!

T

The Asylum

Its a lot better than my first map, I can give you that.

One thing a map needs is to be truly inspired. The first question you should ask yourself is, "what IS this map?" What will make this map a map?" What is your map's identity? 2Fort, for instance, is two remote spy bases connected by a bridge. Dustbowl and Gravel Pit are seemingly innocent mining quarries. Offblast is a treacherous mountain trail. Manor is... well, a manor. It doesn't have to have an elaborate story behind it, but what it needs to be given first is its identity. It's soul. One of the reasons why I pour so much unnecessary detail in my early alphas is because I have an inspiration for my map, and, for better or worse, it drives me far further than anything else.

Now, inspiration is important, sure, but there needs to be a method behind your mania. One of the things a map needs is elbow room, and then some. You're going to have, under ideal conditions, 24 players all going at once on it- sometimes even 32, depending on the server. What good is a Spy to the team, trapped inside a tiny box with every other player on the server? Or a Sniper? Or a Medic? One of the things I learned from listening to the developer commentary is a piece of their map criteria. There's at least one short, direct route to the objective, and at least one long, safer, alternative route.

One thing I would do is open up one of Valve's decompiled maps, and scrutinize their choices. Ask yourself, "Why did they make this long stretch here? Why this 90 degree corner here? What purpose does this gap between doorways serve?" Everyone will come away with different answers of their own, but it is a valuable learning experience, and thought exercise. What I do before I even open up hammer, is open up my sketchbook, and plot out the floor plan- from straight, purely technical drafting of the individual floors or stretches of land, to intricate sketches of map landmarks. I don't remember much from my college days, but one thing stuck with me for sure- "Practice safe design, use a concept."

There's a lot more to mapping than just throwing brushes together, and sometimes it does feel more like a chore than a hobby, but it's always a labor of love that, sometimes, just won't have the returns you're expecting. But when it does catch on, when people do start talking about it and running it on servers, it's the most rewarding feeling in the world, and makes all the time and effort that much more worth it.