[TUTORIAL] Custom Objective Icons using Photoshop

Unrealomega

L1: Registered
May 4, 2008
depends on your map. i wouldn't be hard to make 1 for each if you use photoshop. layers ftw

Figured it out after I posted. But thanks for the help. Now I have two problems. I see there are new versions of the icon_obj that use a different border. Also, when starting the map, the black-purple checkerbox appears until someone picks a class, which usually makes there is a texture missing.

Also, mind you, I'm using Paint.net with the VTF plugin, which doesn't select the template to use. So, I need to know if should use the normal map or not? :p

tedrock

L2: Junior Member
Apr 20, 2008
even in photoshop my vtf plugin doesn't select a template by default but i can assume you would want "no level of detail checked" (thought that's not mentioned in the VMT) since it's going to be on the HUD. you could always read the original tip i've referenced once already...

" Tip: Create the VMT in the directory in which you want to save the VTF with the proper properties first, and the photoshop plugin will read the proper values apon save."

meaning you don't select anything template. the vtm tells it what to use.

whorse

L1: Registered
Jun 29, 2010
First post here, I am having trouble with burn-in on my plasma HDTV from the TF2 objective icons. Particularly the two large white rings (compasses) in CTF which point you to the flags. I've already got a pretty minimalist, text-only HUD which resists burn in, but I cant find any way to change the objective icons. Is it possible to make them translucent/darker and then have it be like that all the time for all the maps? Or is it map-specific? How would sv_pure play into this? I apologize, I really dont know the first thing about editing TF2 maps. I'd appreciate any help