Trying to convert a reskin to a custom model

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by 404UNF, Feb 28, 2011.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    Any guides on how to convert a custom player skin into it's own model?

Ok I'm gonna repurpose this thread. Are there any guides out there that detail how to like, download a class reskin from say, GameBanana, and convert it into it's own model?

It's obviously sort of like what I was doing to make custom model weapons using this guide: http://forums.tf2maps.net/archive/index.php/t-8971.html

The only thing is, for me, converting a custom weapon reskin into a custom model was easy. All I had to do was extract the related weapon models from the GCF, rename some things in Notepad++, recompile it, and it was good to go.

However, doing the same for a whole player model is harder and I keep getting one of two outcomes:

- GUIStudioMDL won't recompile the edited QC file, citing a missing eyeball_r thing.
    - If bychance I manage to somehow recompile a model that uses a custom skin found on GameBanana, upon loading the model into a test map in Hammer, the model is missing all textures.

So yeah. The reason I need to know this is because I downloaded this plugin and modified it to use the Saxton Hale MDL file from the VS Saxton Hale plugin.

But now I want to use some custom player skins from GameBanana like the Captain Canuck Soldier, or the (Heath Ledger) Joker Spy.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    Anyone? Anyone have any idea at all what I'm doing wrong?

Anyone know how to take a player reskin/retexture (for example the Captain Canuck soldier retexture) and convert the soldier models so that they use the Captain Canuck skin?

As stated above, I've been following this guide and I keep getting an error about a missing eyeball_r texture on model.

I never had this problem when I was converting weapon MDL's to use custom weapon skins (such as the Pyro's Gibson Guitar) so that I could use them on my server.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011