"Too short": length of a videogame.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
It's a full price game Djive, but it's going to include a crap-ton more stuff :|

I guess its all in the player. to "me" what makes a games value/price worth it is replay value.

I personally don't find Portal to be high on replay. The first time i play through it OMG!... but i'll never touch it again.

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
off topic sorry (don't hurt me)

I loved Portal don't get me wrong but the hype of Portal comes from -no game like it before- not that it was an amazing quality game. Length was a serious issue IMO. I was disappointed because the game had so much potential but ended so short. If i would have played a demo for free and had the option to buy the game of 20 hours for full price i would have never.

Actually, Valve bought out a few college kids who made a game called Narbacular Drop, so it wasn't the first (but it was the first POPULAR one). As far as I can tell, Valve has bought out almost all of their games/game IDEAS. The sole exception being the Half-Life series.

-The TF series was originally a mod for some Quake game(as we all know)

-Portal comes from a game called Narbacular Drop (as stated before)
After the release of Narbacular Drop, Valve, developers of the Half-Life series, discovered it and hired the entire development team to work for them. The team developed Portal, a spiritual successor to Narbacular Drop, using the same basic concept. In Portal, the player takes the role of a test subject tasked with trying out the "Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device", and along the way discovers that the test facility has been mysteriously abandoned. The main antagonist is a sentient artificial intelligence named GLaDOS, similar to the demon in Narbacular Drop. The game was released on October 10, 2007 on PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, as part of The Orange Box, to critical and commercial success.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbacular_Drop

-Alien Swarm was a mod for some game I can't remember

-Counter-Strike could be a Valve original, but I found this on it's Wikipedia page:

On April 12, 2000, Valve announced that the Counter-Strike developers and Valve had teamed up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Strike

and this on the Counter-Strike Wiki

After releasing in regular beta versions as Half-Life: Counter-Strike, the game and some of its developers were acquired by Valve and it was released commercially via software.
http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/History

-if I missed any, I can edit this for you
-found one L4D is summed up by this quote:

Development on Left 4 Dead started in mid-2005.[30] Turtle Rock Studios aimed to create a horror film-inspired game that merges single player games' character-driven narrative structure with multiplayer games' social interaction and high replayability.[9] The game was first revealed in the Christmas 2006 publication of PC Gamer UK with a six-page article describing a playthrough at Turtle Rock Studios headquarters. A teaser was released with The Orange Box. The game was first playable at the Showdown 2007 LAN in San Jose and at QuakeCon 2007. Turtle Rock Studios announced Left 4 Dead on November 20, 2006,[31] and was acquired by Valve Corporation on January 10, 2008, because of the game and long-standing relationship between the companies.[32] The game opened up to pre-purchasing on Valve's Steam system on October 15, 2008.[33]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_4_Dead

sorry, but LOLz the cake is a lie.

Last edited:

Dragonstorm24

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2009
A game I would classify as good and short would be James Bond Nightfire. Only 9 missions lots to unlock but it is not a pain to unlock them and an awesome multiplayer mode

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
I like my games as follows

-Rythem Games- (examples: Elite beat agents, Guitar Hero, Rock Band, or DDR) These are good for killing hours and sometimes burning calories. Many rythem games have more then 1 difficulty and can keep a whole party playing.

-Fps- (examples: TF2, CS:S, RE) Fps's are good for solo and online play. Many have varied gameplay modes and various additional content that can be unlocked after a 2nd play through.

-MMORPG- (examples: Fable, WoW, Monster Hunter) These require the most time and patience for the gameplay to payoff. Developers continually add too their games, which creates a sorta Player Vortex. The only down fall is a subscription fee.

-Puzzle- (example: Portal, Picross) Provides single player goodness with an online community to share puzzles/levels across.

If it's not obvious, I don't own an Xbox or a Ps3. I have my 3 trusty systems, DS, Wii, and of course, my PC.