The epic adventures of an OS X mapmaker

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by thaumiel, May 9, 2012.

1. thaumiel

thaumiel L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The epic adventures of an OS X mapmaker-wannabe

so I always wanted to make tf2 maps but was disheartened that I couldn't do so without installing windows (a thing I cannot afford to buy) and running it through boot camp or whatever, and sighed wistfully every time i saw people complaining about cubemaps or whatever. you think you have problems? geez!

then by chance I came across mention of a tool called wineskin that was supposedly designed around letting the mac user untermensch play video games like their superior aryan pc gamer cousins. "hmm," i said, "this looks interesting." after about an hour of letting it configure things for me i could run source sdk. shortly thereafter, as soon as I decided to sacrifice the extra 15 gb of hard disk space to install tf2 on its phantom c drive, i could run hammer as well... at 182% CPU.

"might need to get that looked at" I said whilst frantically force-quitting every other open application except chrome and activity monitor and pausing the seemingly-endless tf2 download.

the next time hammer opened it looked almost normal. except there weren't any icons down the right hand side and the error message window seemed to be taking ages to load. I didn't notice this at first being tickled by how much the windows looked like the ones on my first ever computer which ran windows 98. how quaint! the console windows are even using courier! OMG!

soon it became apparent that whilst hammer would run, you couldn't actually create any maps. it quit immediately on trying to do so. opening a file would give you false hope as it read the chunks and the name of the file appeared in the top bar... but nooo. somehow through the shield of wrappers the vmf files divined my inferior software and chose to die with honour rather than live under the jackboot of eternal president steve jobs (r.i.p.).

now i am restarting the tf2 download out of the hope that maybe you need to have the entire game installed in program files for it to work... sacrifices have to be made I guess. maybe if it works better run under an emulator I can uninstall the one in my osx home folder and play it exclusively whilst pretending to be a pc gamer like everyone else.

further epic adventures coming after I actually open a file successfully and undoubtedly run into all sorts of hilarious errors that no one here can actually help me with ;)

edit: this may actually go in new users/introductions but meh, I'm sure questions will materialise quite rapidly in the course of this marvelous misadventure because i have never actually done this before :|

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    You think you have problems? I was a mac gamer before boot camp even existed, and wine was still a fantasy. Back then you had to use a hacked version of cider on your games, and then IF your game worked it'd be riddled with problems. And that only worked of you had an INTEL computer, which I did not, back then.

Anyway, Hi. I recommend you just save up for a copy of windows, or even find a copy of XP (I'm sure hundreds of people have them lying around, or you could buy one for fairly cheap, I'm sure)

3. thaumiel

Positive Ratings:
    ah yes, the ancient days, when I couldn't even send files to PC users half the time... ah, the nostalgia. Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure that now that Vista has been superseded XP will no longer be going for even more than the latest version...

i have also noticed that my mouse, she is in a fashion most weird behaving (within the fake windows environment anyway). clicks do not register half the time. running tf2 under an emulator I spawn pointed permanently at the ceiling—trying to move the camera down results in it jumping back up. everything else seems to work fine. but faced with the prospect of a superior operating system even my hardware abandons me. traitors!

wine spat up the following error at me:

Perhaps it has something to do with running multiple .exe applications under the same wrapper, which apparently can create problems. I am at a loss as to how many bits my system contains.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

4. pl

pl L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Like Aly said, I think getting Windows and installing it via Boot Camp is the best way to go. It's fully native, and you can get a few extra drivers to make Windows play nicer with your Mac (e.g. volume/brightness keys get the same behaviour as what's seen in OS X).

Don't use Wine, it's still very unpredictable with certain GUI apps. Also I wouldn't use virtualization software (e.g. VMware, VirtualBox) as you'd probably have issues trying to get TF2 to run (maybe even Hammer too).

5. thaumiel

Positive Ratings:
    Progress is being made, ladies and gentlemen! I now have a vague idea of what Hammer is supposed to look like!

It's clear that there is some graphics-related stumbling block, an immovable object against which Wine's unstoppable force dashes itself in vain. tf2 can only render 2-3 fps when i am staring at a sentry gun and peaks at 30-40 under best conditions, compared to the 60 fps it easily attains in its native OSX. hammer will open, sure, and it will tell you it's opening a file... but when it comes to actually making that file appear on the screen, "the program hammer.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close."

so what remains now is to find some version of wine, or perhaps some kind of wine-related wrapper, or simply a glass of wine (something I could really use right now), that will solve this mysterious problem whose details never seem to load properly for some reason.

*runs off to equip Eliminating The Impossible*

(And yes I could just buy windows xp and run it under virtualbox—boot camp requires windows 7 now apparently—but a quick search reveals that copies under £100 all look pretty dodgy. Covered with GENUINE this and ORIGINAL that and WILL WORK ON MICROSOFT WEBSITE the other. no, I do not believe that you are selling it for £23 while everyone else is selling theirs for £140 or so just out of the goodness of your heart.)

edit: @Phil, hammer can apparently run under wine on linux, so I am sure there is a way to get it to work on at least a basic level. I am basically limited to free (or very inexpensive >.>) software at this point so w/e.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. pl

pl L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Oh I forgot, have you tried CrossOver Games? It's basically a fork of Wine which is more focused towards gaming (as it suggests). They apparently have good support for Steam (and TF2), so you could give that a try :)

However I'm not sure if it'll make Hammer any better though. And it's a 30-day trial, but it's not very expensive to buy (like $30 I think).

7. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I tried an earlier version of Hammer on CrossOver Games. This was long before source even had an OSX branch, however, I'm not sure how it's changed.

But it didn't work.

8. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  9. Terwonick

Terwonick L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I must say that, even though I don't have to deal with your unfortunate problems your marvelous writing style has gotten me hooked, do you have any works of yours available to read?