The Competitive Player: A Custom Mapper's Perspective

Jason

L1: Registered
Aug 1, 2009
I like how Valve is now catering to both pub and comp audiences. For a funny read see what would happen if pub players balanced tf2. [ame="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929901"]link[/ame]

On topic: It does stink that some comp players are d***s but don't let that discourage you. Just keep on pushing the map it will eventually become popular. Look at cp_freight, it started out slow but it kept on picking up steam and now it's got the same respect as a valve map.

Also as time goes on more and more comp players will want new custom maps and I think the demand will rise so they will be nicer about them.

I've found that one of the main reason custom maps aren't used so much is the same reason there not used so much pub play. Download time and always updating the map. Getting a match together were some people have 5-10 minute download times isn't fun and then always having to get the latest version of the map (sever and client side) isn't that much fun. Mapmakers could help fix this by only releasing their next beta when a significant amount of changes have been made.

And the last thing is that people don't like playing on unfinished maps but you still need to playtest unfinished maps.
The dilemma continues...

I really salute you mappers that have gone all the way through.