TF2Maps Community Map Test Server (Feedback)

Paddy

L1: Registered
Dec 24, 2007
sounds good cant wait to start testing some of the maps people are making on here!

R

rasnarok

Sounds like a great idea for people to get feedback on their map revisions.

Jive Turkey

L3: Member
Jan 22, 2008
While the weekly playtest session is a great idea, and will provide a good focused environment for specific testing, the server is going to be up all the time right? What is the map cycle going to be like? Can someone who is uploading their map designate a certain playtime. I have a number of small ideas I'd like to try out that are pretty much make or break based on how the map will behave online.

For instance I have an idea about pushing around a func_tracktrain that I'm afraid might be totally broken if players get stuck in the damn thing. I'd like to do a quick test of this, but I wouldn't want to have it sucking up unnecessary amounts of time on the map rotation. If I could specify, like in a text file, that I'd like the map to only be up for 5 minute sessions then that would free up the rotation to move on to other maps. Though I suppose this isn't much of an issue if people are able to vote for map changes, but it would be nice if there was a general rotation where the community could log in and test random maps for others.

Also, I think people should definitely consider placing an email address in a prominent place on the map where everyone can see it. Maybe even paint it on the walls of the map or run a constant message string. That way authors can receive feedback even during times they aren't around. This would be supplemental to the weekly map test and groups of people could just log in whenever they have some spare time and test out the maps that are currently running. Requests could be made on the forums for people to go in and votemap their way onto a map with a new idea, and any problems/suggestions could be ironed out before significant mapping work begins.

Crimson

Nov 25, 2007
While the weekly playtest session is a great idea, and will provide a good focused environment for specific testing, the server is going to be up all the time right? What is the map cycle going to be like? Can someone who is uploading their map designate a certain playtime. I have a number of small ideas I'd like to try out that are pretty much make or break based on how the map will behave online.

For instance I have an idea about pushing around a func_tracktrain that I'm afraid might be totally broken if players get stuck in the damn thing. I'd like to do a quick test of this, but I wouldn't want to have it sucking up unnecessary amounts of time on the map rotation. If I could specify, like in a text file, that I'd like the map to only be up for 5 minute sessions then that would free up the rotation to move on to other maps. Though I suppose this isn't much of an issue if people are able to vote for map changes, but it would be nice if there was a general rotation where the community could log in and test random maps for others.

Also, I think people should definitely consider placing an email address in a prominent place on the map where everyone can see it. Maybe even paint it on the walls of the map or run a constant message string. That way authors can receive feedback even during times they aren't around. This would be supplemental to the weekly map test and groups of people could just log in whenever they have some spare time and test out the maps that are currently running. Requests could be made on the forums for people to go in and votemap their way onto a map with a new idea, and any problems/suggestions could be ironed out before significant mapping work begins.

Well first off, the hold up is the dedicated box that I rented came with an AMD 5200+ processor, 2gb ram, 2000gb of bandwidth, etc. While it all looked good, this processor is very underpowered for more than a couple TF2 servers as I have seen the past couple days. I contacted them and they are changing the processor to an Intel Core2Duo E660 which according to Tom's Hardware is 200% more powerful than this one.

For your questions, yes, its a dedicated box, and I am just going to run a small test server with a public FTP to the maps folder for those mappers that cannot figure out how to run SRCDS off there computer or do not want to. This server will not really have a map cycle, it will stay on the map that its left on until 1) another mapper uploads there map and changes it to their's or b) the plugin I setup to clean out the maps folder and restart the server will change the map back to 2fort. The idea is not to have a custom maps server as I already will be running a 24 slot Official maps server, 24 Slot TFC Maps Remakes Server, and (2) 16 slot match servers. So this will just be a 10 slot server that people can use to show others there map and get feedback or test things out.

shpladoink

Dec 19, 2007
Awesome, Crimson. I'd just gotten a temporary server running (kind of) on my home machine, but it's a pain to get everything working through my router. This should make things a lot easier.

Crimson

Nov 25, 2007
It has been a while since I posted this, but the box is up. Few small changes in the hardware specs now. It is an Intel Xeon Quad Core processor, 2gb ram (most servers run fine on 1gb, it is the least of worries with SRCDS) and so on. A very badass server indeed.

Problem I ran into is this. I am hosting 24 slot Pub, 32 slot pub, 2 16 slot match servers, and 1 testing server for the TF2 mod I am making. I will just need to buy another IP address (it came with 5) from the company for this and I should be good to go.

1) Yes, it will always be running. This is a dedicated server that is setup to do nothing except run my TF2 servers.

2) I am working on it now, but biggest problem is just going to be getting an FTP setup for you guys to upload your files to. Currently the only FTP I have setup is for me to manage the gameservers, so I would need to get that worked out (securly)

The only other option I am considering, is possibly doing like a schedule. You guys send me your maps you want hosted, and I will put them up on a server for you at a select time (within 12-24 hours about)

Nosher

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 3, 2008
This sounds like an excellent idea - the map that I and a friend are constructing needs to be play tested BEFORE we get to work on the eye candy...

.....just to see if the basic layout works........

Just my 2 cents

Nosh

(PS - is there a donation thing here, so 1 person doesn't have to fork out the money each month?)

Crimson

Nov 25, 2007
If you mean for this test server im setting up for tf2maps.net then yeah, I will probably wind up putting up a donations box as it can get costly. If you mean for tf2maps.net in general (im not affiliated, just a member of forums) im pretty sure they have one as well.