soundscape question

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by tanuki, Aug 28, 2009.

1. tanuki

tanuki L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Okay so my deal is that Ive placed the soundscape and its proxys and its all setup more or less correctly and I hear the sound. The problem is that it takes some time before I do so I was wondering if I can preload them or something. I dont see any flags that would let me do this. So thoughts?

2. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    If a player moves from one soundscape (or no soundscape) to another, it smoothly cross-fades over the course of 3 seconds, IIRC.

So what you may want to do is make the point where the changeover begins to happen sooner. (It will still take time to do the cross-fading.) Try making a soundscape proxy and placing it further out, like in the doorway to the room instead of in the center of the room.

If you need a particular sound to be heard quickly, maybe toss an ambient_generic in there.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  3. tanuki

Positive Ratings:
    sorry I should have been more specific:

The problem is that I dont hear the soundscape when the map loads. It takes a few seconds like 10+ sometimes.

4. tanuki

Positive Ratings:
    anyone?

5. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Dunno. Anything in the console?

There are commands in the console that may help you debug it. One shows the active soundscape(s), and snd_show (IIRC) shows what is currently playing.