So is this a "comp" server or a "pub" server?

Server settings

• Total voters

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Imo, it doesn't matter to me whether crits are on or off by default, as long as the map author has control over whether they're on or not by informing the admin. That's all I think is necessary.

BrainInBlack

L1: Registered
Feb 8, 2011
I think you should rule out as many random factors as possible. Because it´s simply impossible to balance crit or all the other random stuff, by moving a door or modifying the re-spawn-timer.

Ok, most public servers have crit, spread, etc. on by default... but that's not really important matter, since these options tend to be the fun-settings, but to the really important, such as general balance and so on.

Apr 13, 2009
Yes but the most prominent random element in the game remains : it happens when you join a team...

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Crits won't have a single effect on map testing (As we have seen when testing on Playstuff) and they are fun.
Bring the crits!

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I'm keeping my vote of "no crit, no spread, no intel crit", because I don't think it's necessary to have any of it on and I like the feeling of consistency. But I'm not going to argue against any claims that crits and spread are okay. I really don't care whether they're on or off, because it all matters so little in the big picture.

If you're killed by a crocket instead of placing that final killing shot on the soldier who fired it - who's to say you definitely would have killed him? A lot of other (semi) random things could occur, such as a third player joining the fight. Or you could be mistaken in your estimation about your shot being a killing one. Unless you're a highly skilled competitive player who can count damage and estimate the enemy's remaining health, and on top of that you have good enough aim that you're sure you can hit - unless that is the case, battles in TF2 aren't going to be predictable and stable just because crits and damage spread is off. And hey, in the end it might not matter if you get killed in that one battle or not. What if you're killed by a Heavy around the corner 2 seconds later anyway?