Skybox positioning issues

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
The position of the 3d skybox is the least of the issues OP is having. They can figure that out once they solve the whole no lighting thing.

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
In the first post, he said the lighting problem was solved by moving the map so the origin was not in the ground, but that resulted in the skybox being out of place. I was trying to help with the latter problem. If the lighting problem goes away when the origin is moved, and if my suggestion helps with the resulting skybox problem, then the map would be fixed.

I don't know how to fix the lighting problem, other than moving the origin like he did before starting this thread, but I am trying to help in what little way I can.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
The lighting problem goes away if the 3d skybox stops merging into the level during vrad. That's because the thing that's preventing brush lighting from working is only doing do when the vrad overlays the 3d skybox with the level for raycasting. Putting the level origin outside the level so that the sky_origin is outside the level is definitely going to affect that. VRAD is full of incredibly autistic performance hacks (by design) after all.

Last edited:

AngryRemilia

L1: Registered
Sep 21, 2014
Well I decided to do some further investigation with the section of the func_detail bridge Wareya pointed out, and after a while of doing some bridge repair.....
242j6hh.jpg

The lighting was fixed! That section of the bridge was causing the issue all along (how valve left that in there sdk release I question).

Still running on a fast compile so everything looks a little damp and ugly but with this issue out of the way I can work on the finishing touches before doing the final compile.

Thanks everyone for your help :)

Last edited: