CTF Skinnerbox

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
Not true.

We don't like how it can lead to easy stalemates. Do it right, and we're okay.
Ah, yes, but how difficult is it to do right? It's very hard to do CTF right by its very nature, and maps that do quell the Engie problem ALWAYS have issues turn up in other areas.

The one map I can think of off the top of my head that's actually a CTF map done right is Turbine_Pro. It's quite depressing how many CTF maps there are out there that aren't fun in the slightest.

Robot3x

L2: Junior Member
Sep 8, 2011
It's fine if you don't realise there's a sightline there, but the description makes it seem like you're perfectly aware of them and believe they'll improve gameplay (they won't).

The description is very clear that there is one specific area in the map designed to be dominated by snipers and force players to weigh their options when deciding a route to take.

Electrified floors? Buttons? Spiralling stairs? There are very good reasons why official and otherwise successful maps don't have any of these features (with the exception of the Badlands spire, but it's sparsely used and easy to climb).

Don't forget trains, lava pools, Monoculus, the Underworld, ghosts, and HHH.

Edit:

This argument is just absolutely silly. I could take out the raygun props and replace them with lava or a pit or train and they would function exactly the same and it would be a-okay. But somehow using a different prop magically makes it a game breaking gimmick.

Edit 2:

The more I think about this, the more astoundingly ridiculous this is. I just remembered that the rayguns were originally going to be sawblades, you know, the ones from the totally not gimmicky Sawmill. The ideas was that I would have saws like that map but use them differently. But I found that making rayguns would be less work and probably less expensive.

What kills me about this is this string of painfully condescending pseudo-socratic-method questioning "You have to ask yourself why no successful maps use these things?", is that it operates on the assumption that they don't. But they do! I think you guys have to ask yourself, why trains and exploding pumpkins and moving sawblades don't seem gimmicky to you in other maps, but something that works almost exactly the same way in my map do.

Electrified floors are a feature that just messes with gameplay, and will confuse and annoy people who won't understand what killed them when they walk on them.

When a player sees a floor shooting sparks and then steps on it and then sparks shoot from their bodies and then they die, I think they will figure out what killed them. I didn't exactly make a Mensa test.

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
The description is very clear that there is one specific area in the map designed to be dominated by snipers and force players to weigh their options when deciding a route to take.

You don't balance map like this, this is incredibly silly.

Don't forget trains, lava pools, Monoculus, the Underworld, ghosts, and HHH.

Edit:

This argument is just absolutely silly. I could take out the raygun props and replace them with lava or a pit or train and they would function exactly the same and it would be a-okay. But somehow using a different prop magically makes it a game breaking gimmick.

This counter argument is absolutely silly.
The difference between this map and official maps that use said "gimmicks" is that they actually have working layout and the "gimmicks" are not going overboard and are there to bring some interesting elements into said map's gameplay. Here tough, it is just "LOL I GOT ELECTRIFIED FLOORS AND STUFF, IT BRINGS VARIETY TO GAMEPLAY (No offense, this is how it all comes across) when it actually doesn't, it is there just to be there.
Stop being so cocky about your first map and actually listen to what people are saying.

Last edited:

Robot3x

L2: Junior Member
Sep 8, 2011
I'm not being cocky about my map. I am defending my design decisions. Is that okay? Or should I bow humbly before all here?

It's difficult to listen to some people here because they are either picking apart a map they have created in their heads and saying that it is my map. Or presenting opinion as absolute fact.

The difference between this map and official maps that use said "gimmicks" is that they actually have working layout and the "gimmicks" are not going overboard and are there to bring some interesting elements into said map's gameplay. Here tough, it is just "LOL I GOT ELECTRIFIED FLOORS AND STUFF, IT BRINGS VARIETY TO GAMEPLAY (No offense, this is how it all comes across) when it actually doesn't, it is there just to be there.

This is a complete straw man. I mean even you admit that "this how it all comes across", implying that you don't know for sure that's what's actually going on in my map. So I don't know why you're even saying it.

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
Just had a run-through of this map and noticed something.

SIGHTLINES.

FUCKING.

EVERYWHERE.

Also.
Sawmill is not gimmicky in any way. The killer sawblades are sparsely used and are actually completely avoidable. You don't need a button to activate them. No circular stairs or anything, just good old sawblades that are only seen twice and have very little chance of actually hitting something that is aware of it. Also, they break up sightlines, sort of.

Exploding pumpkings are, again, sparsely used, and add an interesting and dynamic gameplay variant. They are also easily avoidable. They're tiny, they're small in numbers, and they're stationary.

Trains are easily avoidable. There's a massively obvious warning about trains and you either have to be deaf, stupid or just unlucky to be struck by one. Bells, sounds, lights... trains, once again, are sparsely used. Well has, what, two trains passing through it occasionally? Only where the action is hottest. Freight only has a few, once again, sparsely used.

Also, the electrified floors will confuse players. Pretty much nobody has encountered killer floors in a TF2 map, and especially in the unpredictable manner of which they are activated, it's a very bad idea to have one in your map. Especially when it is the floor of a maze, meaning a lot of people could get stuck down there for a while. That's not fun for anyone since they want to play. TF2 is a very fast, dynamic game; it is always moving, no standstills. Mazes just kill that. It's also going to piss everyone off, particularly if someone just stands there and kills everyone he sees enter the maze by frying them.

Monoculus and the HHH are gameplay features that actually work. Again, they are avoidable, particularly Monoculus, which players can literally just stroll away from. There is only one boss on its respective map at a time, and it can be killed when everyone works together, forcing everyone to do so to bring them down. Plus, each boss only appears on one map, and it's pretty damn obvious what maps they are. Halloween maps. Hardly anyone plays on a Halloween map at all except for on, well, Halloween. Once again, they are sparsely used and are very avoidable (just run away from the HHH and he'll just start attacking somebody else). The Underworld is a fun 'minigame' if you will, which - ONCE A-FUCKING-GAIN - is sparsely used (as in the portal only appears every once in a while) and avoidable.

The keywords here are "sparse" and "avoidable". None of the gimmicks in your map are either "sparse" or "avoidable" at all.

Last edited:

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
This is a complete straw man. I mean even you admit that "this how it all comes across", implying that you don't know for sure that's what's actually going on in my map. So I don't know why you're even saying it.

No, that is how you are coming across, if you want better wording, your gimmicks are pointless, they are there just to be there, it is not some fantastic new design that makes good map, It is annoying and makes already bad layout, even worse.

Mr. Wimples

Jan 27, 2010
I also ran through the map. Although you compare the open spaces in your map to turbine, there is one glaring difference between them regardless of cover: they are all huge, much larger than turbine's open area. Additionally, you have 3 of such areas.

Also consider the walktimes. As a pyro, a default speed class, it took me 42 seconds to reach the enemy intel (from the friendly intel) taking the shortest possible route. In addition to being a much, much longer walktime than turbine, it also took me through more than ten 2000+ HU long sightlines and both team's electrified mazes. Alternatively, I also took the shortest possible route without traversing the mazes. This time it took me 54 seconds to reach the enemy intel, again taking me through the same sighlines.

To be blunt, your map is very very big. Big enough to encourage any sane player to go sniper or scout. Additionally, the intel seems very easy to camp, considering the shortest route is through a death maze. I will admit though, each and every obstacle in your map has a way around it, but in order to do so the person must take lots of time going out of their way to stay safe. I personally don't find traversing long empty hallways with no action whatsoever fun. Regardless, put it on a gameday if you really want to discover how the map will play. Predictions are predictions. If you believe your design decisions are right, then prove us wrong.

Try not to take our advice too hard, we can see you have some talent in hammer. Consider any feedback at all a compliment.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
We're not telling you this because we're afraid you've made the next great custom map. We're telling you this so that you stop wasting your own time because we've seen this done (all of it!) in maps before and it never, ever, ever works. I don't expect you to bow but I do expect you to think about how several veteran mappers who've played a lot of maps are all telling you the same thing and trying to be really nice about it.

English Mobster

Jul 10, 2011
I don't want to add fuel to the fire here, but yeah. I don't get the Turbine reference. At all. Turbine is famous for being small.
This isn't small.
It's a first map, and it shows. The problem isn't that you have a gimmick. It's that you have MANY gimmicks. Note that all the maps you referenced with gimmicks were either event maps (e.g. they aren't considered "normal" gameplay, and, with the exception of the rare pumpkin bombs and ghosts, don't effect gameplay in any way) or they used A gimmick. One. Uno.

Badlands has spiral staircases, but no trains, deathpits, sawblades, or anything of the sort.
Sawmill has sawblades, but no spiral staircases, deathpits or trains.
Well has trains, but no spiral staircases, sawblades, or deathpits.
Upward has deathpits, but no sawblades, trains, or spiral staircases.

In addition, these gimmicks are ALWAYS ACTIVE, or at least give plenty of warning before they become active (in the case of the trains).

The Badlands spire doesn't rise up from the ground.
Sawmill's sawblades don't retract.
Upward doesn't have fences fall around its deathpits.

And even if you DID replace the theming of your gimmicks, replace rayguns with sawblades, floor with lava, put in the Badlands spire, we would still harp on you. And more than just berating you for using the spire (one of those props that every serious player knows and thus must be avoided).
It's not the theming. Although this theme has never been used before and is not a wise choice for a first map, and although it doesn't fit the style, neither does cp_orange.
It's your gimmicks.

Sniper lines are never made to be areas that you just don't wander through. They're all balanced, at least on the halfway decent maps (e.g. not 2fort).

There are 3 ways in to kill a Sniper trying to snipe at mid on Badlands (4 if you're a good jumper, although it technically does turn into one of the main 3 ways in the end).
The Spire blocks a lot of visibility at second on Badlands, thus making a Sniper there much less effective except at controlling the choke, and even that is limited. Once a Soldier gets past you and rocket-jumps, you're screwed. A Scout can also go through the side route just outside of your visibility and get behind you.
Badwater has the biggest Sniper line in any official map, at over 3000 units. But it isn't viable for long; the spawn is right there, and due to the nature of spawn waves and the proximity of the spawn to the tunnel, you won't be able to pick off them all before they dart into the tunnel and are able to get at your flank.
Upward also has huge Sniper lines, but none of them can control the entire area for long. The worst ones are near the first CP, just like Badwater, and it suffers from many of the same drawbacks. Although cover is less abundant, extra routes are moreso, and a Scout behind you means instant death.
In Turbine, the only place Snipers dominate are in what is typically considered "mid", and even then they can't have a hope at covering every exit, not to mention we have the same spawn issue seen in Upward and Badwater, PLUS they have to worry about opposing Snipers. Although every class has to pass through this room, it's BALANCED. There is no area you have to avoid because of fear of Snipers.
Which brings me to 2fort. One of, if not the, most stereotypical "Sniper" maps. This is the only place where you have an area that avoids the Sniper line completely (the sewers). Yet look at the bridge. It does the same thing, although to a lesser extent. It blocks Sniper fire for the majority of the route, leaving the exit of the opposing base as the only hotspot for Sniper activity. And people consider this bad enough to have it factor in as to one of the reasons why 2fort is a bad map, even though it is limited and completely avoidable.
You can't have an area that is completely Sniper-friendly, even if it's avoidable. That is, unless you're making an achievement, idle, or trade map. Your logic there is completely and utterly flawed. The idea of a huge but avoidable Sniper line is another gimmick.
I can go on. Shall I?

This is why you're catching so much flak. Not because we hate you, not because we're afraid you're competing with us to be "The next big custom map", but because your map takes every gimmick and tries to put it in a layout that is too large and doesn't work with a theme that doesn't match the TF2 style on a gametype that nobody here nor anyone that has any semblance of "skill" or "fun" likes. It is the QUINTESSENTIAL beginner's map, and we're trying to wean you from it and teach you things that work and don't work for the next time you make a TF2 map.