Site Collab: TF2 Boss Battle

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
make it a Mecha Gabe and let's get started.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
If ABS doesn't show up, I can help with entity setups, which will probably be a significant chunk of work. Also, Calum, you didn't edit your post.

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Tapp, entites are about all I'm good at but sure help is always nice.

Drexer

L2: Junior Member
Jun 23, 2009
Ladies and gentlemen, one gigantic spider boss fight coming up:
bosspreview1.jpg

It's movement is taken care off, I'm now gonna work on deciding different attacks phases.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
In my opinion, the boss battle should flow as following:

Boss attacks:
Alternates between different ways of attacking the players, which require them taking cover in different places. No single spot should be safe from all attacks, to keep the players moving.
Boss has an enrage timer, at which point it simply obliderates everybody
Boss sends out a laser array to scatter the players at certain damage intervals. This ensures that players can't stay in one place and attack, and causes them to panic
Boss could use rockets, pipe bombs, lasers, sentries, minigun bullets, melee and sentries installed in the arena.

Boss destruction:
Blunt damage
certain weak spot (ala golden wrench)
finding and destroying power towers in the arena

Players fight the boss by moving between cover, assessing attacks, destroying power cores. When all of the power cores are disabled the boss's shield goes down for 60 seconds while they are repaired. Once the boss has been damaged enough, it opens up a weak spot for players to attack, finally destroying it. Am I taking this too seriously?

Drexer

L2: Junior Member
Jun 23, 2009
Yeah well, this mainly works as an experiment of mine. iw as indecisive about either a static or moving boss, so i decided on moving to see already how it works, and because it's easier to turn a moving one into static than vice versa.

The problem though, is deciding on how to do the attacks. Currently I'm working with some AoE spheres, as well as trying to get some aim on the players with info_targets and lasers. It isn't as easy to get this to be balanced as I first though, so it might take a while.

Some projectiles also crash the map, and the prefab that was posted here needs some tweaking and quite a bit of other stuff still needs adjustment. >_>

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Drex, just shout if you want any help for anything, I'll be glad to apply my knowledge.

martijntje

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Aug 2, 2009
I have been thinking about this lately.
I suggest, that the boss can be damaged at certain times (like in a rest between attacks), but requires teamwork. Players will need to hit multiple spots at the same time (read: within a reasonable interval) to destroy parts of the boss.

The boss will be able to use 9 attack (themed after the 9 classes)
(scout)
double jump into the air and then land on the ground around the area and crush/kill those that stand under it.
(soldier)
Fires rockets in all directions, traveling horizontaly. Forcing everybody to find cover.
(pyro)
Sets the ground around him on fire. the floor is lava idea. Flames will die out after some time.
(demoman)
Shoot "stickies" in every direction, then after a few second detonate them.
(heavy)
spins up minigun, then slowly turns while firing.
(engineer)
Boss has multiple lasers (wrangler has a laser, thats why) wich will move around and kill/hurt players on touch.
(medic)
Boss becomes invunerable/ubercharged, then picks up a "ubersaw" and randomly starts meleeing and running trough the map
(sniper)
Shoots a lot of arrows up in the sky, wich will then fall down upon the players
(spy)
Turns invisible, and just before he does an attack, he turns visible. Most awesome would be if he could backstack you if you where looking in the wrong direction, but that may be too difficult.