Silly question about trains

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by lolcrit, Apr 19, 2010.

1. lolcrit

lolcrit L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I had an idea for a map in which trains have a big part. However, the trains path is not straight and I'm wondering how smooth or jerky does the trains movement look on a curved path? What would be the minimum radius of a 90 degree turn be so that the train still looks smooth? Thanks!

2. Karnage

Karnage L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    The smallest circle a payload cart tends to make has a radius of ~104 (going by the path_tracks used with prop "track_arc_90degree_128.mdl"). It depends on how big the train is, but you can make any circle smooth by adding at least 8 path_tracks per 90 degree turn I reckon. Hope that helps!

3. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I really think it will be hard to make a train take a smooth turn

4. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    You can but like HeaH said it would be very hard and would require a massive turn radius and a load of path tracks too boot. I would recommend you try and hide the turn in a building that is not visible to other players.

5. alecom

alecom L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well the main problem you will have is if you want it to look smooth you will max out the entity limit from all the path_tracks
    ;)

This is what mine looked like
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3oQtYIuQkU"]YouTube- CHOOCHOO[/nomedia] (second half of video)
    and it still looks a bit jerky, that's 45 path_tracks in a 90 turn.

p.s. curves in your track make everything more complicated and so much more work!

6. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Why don't you just adjust wheel distance? Amateurs.

7. alecom

alecom L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you want a train that powerslides, sure