Setting up a server with a custom map...

crazychicken

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2008
I don't understand what you're actually trying to do, adding stuff that goes in the map as seperate files taht have to be downloaded on top of the map file it seems to me. If you are I would ask you to try and get everything into the bsp file as it's a pain uploading seperate folders and then having to allow them access on the whitelist, usually I don't bother, nearly all maps fit everything into the bsp so maps that don't I usually ignore them and see if it works without them without having large areas with checkerboard etc.

Anyway to do this on a server you have to set up sv_downloadurl so that th emaps are downloaded from a seperate host for speed purposes. You upload the entire bsp to the server maps folder and compress the map and upload the bzip2 to the sv_downloadurl host. Steam unpacks this itself so clients have to download a file half the size from a much faster location.

Spamdini

Jan 19, 2008
ok im still testing pakrating the intro movie into the bsp. but now this raises another question for me. lets say i do get everything in the bsp with pakrat, the intro movie, the intro pics, the custom texture, the description txt file, the .ain file. THEN i bz2 zip it. do i put the bz2 with everything on the server AND on the redirect? or do i put the bz2 only on the redirect and everything else NON bz2ed on the server?

Spamdini

Jan 19, 2008
alright so... pakrating doesnt work. i tried it, the auto button doesnt work. the scan button can scan but i cant ADD anything from it, i have to add manually. ive tried adding 1 custom texture, intro pics, .txt map description file and the maps .ain file and ive tried multiple times with different file paths and i get nothing. they are usually just missing. and one time i was getting a bad path error in console and the displacement that the texture is one was wireframe instead of purple checkered and the place where the intro pics are supposed to be was a wireframe white box. wts...

crazychicken

Feb 14, 2008
only zip things for download server, the game server needs everything unzipped

Spamdini

Jan 19, 2008
ok well i seem to of figured it out, the only thing left to test is if i CAN pakrat the intro movie. what i was doing wrong was, and i imagine this would be good to know for everyone is, the pakrat files need to be extracted to and run from the map directory of the game ur map is for. so in the case of tf2, in your <email address>/team fortress 2/tf/maps folder.