Rope that gets shorter?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by NanoSquid, Aug 5, 2010.

1. NanoSquid

NanoSquid L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi guys. I'm working on yet another map, arena_hole (yes I will release this one :rolleyes:).

I have a problem. I'm using the well center crane platform for my capture point and I want it to rise out of the pit in the middle of my map (the hole :O) and I want it to look like its being winched up realistically by two thick cables.

I'm having trouble figuring out ropes though. How would I make one that is simply a vertical line that connects to the end of my platform and gets shorter as it "pulls the platform up"?

2. Firest0rm

Firest0rm L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    i'm not sure if you can parent ropes to other entities, but if you can't you could just fake it being a rope with a func_movelinear or something like that

3. NanoSquid

Positive Ratings:
    That crossed my mind, but then the structure above it would have to be ridiculously tall to hide it on top.

It's a deep hole. :O

4. Firest0rm

Firest0rm L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    you could cheat a lot, and use a bunch of func_movelinears that move together, but all stop at a certain point

5. Konata

Konata L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    That's what she said.

6. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure a phys_contraint works, but I'm not sure

8. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm. So parenting one of the move_rope nodes to a moving entity isn't doing it? Because that would have been my first guess.

9. NanoSquid

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, I tried that first.

10. NanoSquid

Positive Ratings:
    Stick, your tutorial was ineffective. Sorry :(

11. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, I've got access to hammer again, let me write it out so you can understand it :)

I'm going to give you the bare bones example of how it works, and you should be able to adapt it from there.

Create a func_door with the name rope_brush_mover. This is the main moving object, that everything else will be parented to. It could also be a func_movelinear, just any moving brush entity will work.

Make a move_rope named rope_1, with the next keyframe set to rope_2. Then create a keyframe_rope called rope_2. rope_2 is the part that is going to move.

Create a 32x32x32 box around rope_2 using the hint texture, and convert it to a func_brush. Name it rope_brush, and then set the parent to rope_brush_mover.

Now for the important part: create a logic_measure_movement. Set the Entity to measure, Measure Reference, and Movement Reference boxes to rope_brush.
    Set the Entity to Move box to rope_2.
    Leave the other boxes default.

Now you're done! If you want to test it easily, compile it and open it ingame, and just set the func_door to open (use "ent_fire rope_brush_mover Open" in console if you forgot to make a trigger).

Here's an example VMF if you're still having trouble figuring it out.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    That's what she said. :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. NanoSquid

Positive Ratings:
    Ah, THAT did it! The way you set it up was correct. the tut you linked to had it set up wrong.

Thanks for helping me with my Hole, Stick. :p