CP Ridgeline

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
On the flip side, I don't think there's anything wrong with acknowledging you've learned everything you can from a project and moving on.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Sure, it might be easier to take what ideas you have about layout that seem to work and put them in to a new map. A fresh start feels good, especially when you are bogged down. Maybe take a break from this project if it gets you down and take a look at it later.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Most good maps are pretty good at a1, worserlands (gullywash), process and sunshine have almost the same layout since a1. I have done massive changes to my map and it still hasn't gotten better. I feel as if it would be better if i took everything i have learned (a metric tonne of learning i might add) and implement it into another map I have the motivation to finish.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I don't think all good maps were good at a1. What I would point to instead is the fact that those maps you listed were made after their respective authors had already churned out a few other maps. Everyone starts out making bad maps as they learn the tools, develop a style, and figure out what they want to do with the game. Now that you have some ideas about what kinds of areas work and don't work, your next map will be even better, and the one after that will be better than the last, etc. Never forget that it's a process.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
That's only three maps. There are over 70 official Valve maps. I bet most of them went through massive changes. And what you don't see is the practice and failed attempts that helped to form the final, finished product. If a map is good at a1 it's probably because the author knew what he was doing, did a lot of planning and private testing, or just got lucky. Either that or people decided they were good, maybe because they were different to what they already knew.

If you take your experiences and make new a1 maps in future, each one will be better than the last attempt. No one is born with 'the knowledge' of 'what makes a good map'. It's all subjective to each person's preferences, and half of general consensus is likely to be popular opinion, based on existing works.

Your map has been improved because of the changes you have made, but there still seem to be problems. Some of them are probably side effects of improvements you made to other areas. If you continue to solve problems when they appear, eventually you will reach an acceptable map. You will only see these problem with more play testing. Try not to overfix problems. Make careful changes that are backed up by solid reasoning.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
That's only three maps. There are over 70 official Valve maps. I bet most of them went through massive changes. And what you don't see is the practice and failed attempts that helped to form the final, finished product. If a map is good at a1 it's probably because the author knew what he was doing, did a lot of planning and private testing, or just got lucky. Either that or people decided they were good, maybe because they were different to what they already knew.

If you take your experiences and make new a1 maps in future, each one will be better than the last attempt. No one is born with 'the knowledge' of 'what makes a good map'. It's all subjective to each person's preferences, and half of general consensus is likely to be popular opinion, based on existing works.

Your map has been improved because of the changes you have made, but there still seem to be problems. Some of them are probably side effects of improvements you made to other areas. If you continue to solve problems when they appear, eventually you will reach an acceptable map. You will only see these problem with more play testing. Try not to overfix problems. Make careful changes that are backed up by solid reasoning.

My depression/anxiety got the better of me when reading everything to do with this map. People generally enjoyed middle and last, just that goddamn 2nd point was the bane of this map. I read every piece of constructive criticism like an attack on the map/myself.
Now with a clear head I read stuff like Tylers post above and notice that moving on from this map wasn't just a lesson in how to make better maps, but it was also on how to take constructive criticism and not completely fall to bits once someone says something negative. I love this map to bits and I can't believe I abandoned it.

Oh Ridgeline my love please take me back, I was such a fool.

Last edited:

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
A8
Spooky ghost map from the dead!
Fixed some details.
Revamped the left half of 2nd point.
Fixed last cap speeds to balance teams.
Fixed red spawn doors.
Removed massive pole on last.
Lit up some areas.
More optimisation.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
A9
Fixed doors not accepting more than 1 person at a time.
Added a ledge to the point, this also removes the need for the jump pad.
Changed 2nd to last connectors, there is now a new pathway below the ledge to the point.
Removed hut hiding the point. This makes the last battle a lot more open.
Removed junk brushes.
Tweaked spawn times.
Decreased cap time for last.
Adjusted spawn manipulation on 2nd cap.
Changed item amounts on 2nd.

Feeling pretty good about hitting Beta soon, maybe another 2 versions if everything goes well.
Edit: It didn't

Last edited: