Request: unwraping an existing prop

Discussion in 'Models' started by YM, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Zeewier

Zeewier L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    ah ok, scrapped from to do list :)

I ended up in using 2008 instead of 8 version of 3dsmax, but even then it didnt want to render/export to psd.

Anyway this will make a huge file size, (15 images for just the screens 5 mb just for this model)

Try to place some of the screens on top of each other and place them all in a 1024*1024 file

EDIT (After dling):Try to unwrap the screen with a nice pelt unwraper, that makes skinning it a lot easier and you will get a better end result

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    /applies love and opens photoshop

3. Cerulean

Cerulean L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    5mb? The small screens are 128x128, I think the biggest file size you can get per monitor is like... 86kb? And I am changing the base textures to DXT1 format, much smaller size. I think the total is still under 3mb, with the model files.

I thought 15 different images would be better for setting up skins. If I put the screens together, I was hoping to get a user submitted skin before I release a final version.

As for unwrapping... I don't know too much about good modeling, I've just done what works. I'm still looking for resources on unwrapping & rendering textures in XSI (after applying projections, how to render shadows, diffuse, etc). I'm stuck with XSI and internet tutorials for now, so learning is taking time.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  4. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Before I skin any more of it, could you make it so I can have red and blue themed screens, not bothered about neutral themed.

I thought if anything the screens are the section that need to be team based, not the main body of it as the body would work as a neutral colour.

How about this:
    1 body texture for all three skins
    -Red skin has 14 small monitor textures and one large middle texture
    -Blue skin has 14 small monitor textures and one large middle texture
    -Neutral skin has 1 monitor screen (off)

5. Cerulean

Positive Ratings:
    Just to update this thread... (from reuploading, you already got it).

The screens were merged into one file. Screens file has alpha channel for selfillum (DXT5 compression; alpha, srgb flags checked). Base file has no alpha, uses BGR888 with srgb flag checked.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Its not compiled with $staticprop?? It dissapears when I use it as a prop_static :(

7. Cerulean

Positive Ratings:
    I think I updated the model since you got it, just re-download and copy over the new models.