Replacing skeleton models like in Farmageddon?

Unicake

L2: Junior Member
Aug 25, 2017
I have a friend that wants to model an enemy model for me that I think I could use as a replacement for the skeletons (Like how Farmageddon replaced skeletons with scarecrows)

Does anyone know how this is done?

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Give the replacement model the same name as the one you want to replace and put all it's files in the correct folders to get it to work.

TF2 checks overwritten models on a bsp by bsp basis. As long as the custom prop is packed into the bsp itself with something like compile pal, then it will replace the model when the map loads and revert to the stock model upon map switch.

Something to keep in mind though is that some players with some settings don't see replaced models using this method. I've talked to multiple people about this and done a bunch of testing but have no idea what the setting(s) are that causes this to happen. If you can figure it out that would be amazing.

Unicake

L2: Junior Member
Aug 25, 2017
Therefore if the skeleton's model path is models/bots/skeleton_sniper/skeleton_sniper.mdl

Does that mean i would have to put a bots/skeleton_sniper folder into my models folder and name the replacement model skeleton_sniper.mdl?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Something to keep in mind though is that some players with some settings don't see replaced models using this method. I've talked to multiple people about this and done a bunch of testing but have no idea what the setting(s) are that causes this to happen. If you can figure it out that would be amazing.
Doesn't sv_pure 2 override it? Granted, that's a server setting, not a client setting, but still. I think I had problems with that myself.