1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Ramps?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by The Asylum, Apr 5, 2008.

1. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    Probably a stupid question here: How do you make ramps?

[​IMG]

^^ Like this?

2. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    If you'd like. There is no "one way" to do any brushwork in hammer. Make a ramp however you please, but you have the right idea =)

3. efciem

efciem L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    Easymode...

Well i presume you just want to make the ramp w/ a brush in hammer

create your flat box brush

goto Vertex edit

drag a top corner vertex node straight up however many units you want the incline to be

if you want a flat top at the top of the ramp, create a 2nd brush that is the same height as the top of your ramp and extend it out however far you want it.

Helpful note, dont scale/rotate brushes that have had vertex editing done as this can throw off your grid locking and scaling to match with other brushes either already created or to be created in the future.

4. kimangroo

kimangroo L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    You can make ramps easily by using the brush tool. Click on the white cubey icon on the left hand side (the brush tool) and make sure that "block" is selected in the right hand panel. Draw your block, press escape and then select the vertex manipulation tool, the wireframe icon at the bottom on the left hand side. Then select any two top vertices that share a side and drag them down to the bottom. If you drag them right down on top of the bottom vertices it will ask you if you want to merge them. Click ok. That'll give the basic triangular ramp that you can set up next to another square block to make the ramp in your picture. Another way would be to use the clip tool (one above the vertex manipulation tool if I remember correctly) and just cut the ramped side away from your square block.

It's actually very easy if you try, I just have a knack of making things sound far more complicated than they really are... :(

EDIT: damm I'm always so slow with my posts that by the time I've finished them, 2 or 3 others have already beaten me to it! I second the advice on the not rotating stuff though, I didn't realise this at first and couldn't work out why my beautiful brushwork always ended up so wierd. Rotating by 90,180,270,360 (?!) degrees shouldn't be a problem I don't thing though.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  5. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks!

6. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    i dont think a heavy would have his back to caek

7. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    The caek is a lie

8. MacNetron

MacNetron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    with this mini-tutorial, making a ramp is a piece of caek

9. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Did someone say delicious caulk?

10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Talk about thread derailing, I think the ban hammer needs to be taken off that dusty shelf for the previous 4 posts...

11. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    someone didnt wake up with a sense of humour this morning.

12. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    :closedeyes:
    I just suggested we ban the guy who started this all..... my sense of humour is intact all right:thumbup1:

13. teddyruxpin

teddyruxpin Sr. Hygiene Technician

Positive Ratings:
    Why not just make a wedge primitive and then click on it 3 times to allow you to adjust the angles. Twist it around and maybe give it a bit of a squish. Volia you got a ramp :)

Or will the method using the vertex tool produce a better result with less leafs?

-Teddy

14. World Of Frisbee Crisis

World Of Frisbee Crisis L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Youme just wants a piece of the delicious caek.:D

15. kimangroo

kimangroo L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    ^ Because I didn't know a wedge option existed! :D
    Looking at the brush tool I see I've only every used the first three; arch, block and cylinder. I tried to use spheres but the second I clipped them... insta-hammer-crash. Free floating spheres don't seem that useful in map making. Talking of useless options, has anyone ever used the torus shape to make anything in their map?

16. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    in for banning djive and immortal

17. trainRiderJ

trainRiderJ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    There was a torus in my map for about 10 seconds, before I decided it looked dumb and had way too many faces. I suppose you could use simple toruses (tori?) as a starting point for some other kind of detail or shape, but I don't think I'll be using them any time soon.