Rainwater

KotH Rainwater A1

Agent Braise - SWG

L1: Registered
Sep 22, 2018
Rainwater A1 - Simple outdoor King Of The Hill map with a control point hoiste

A small, simple KOTH map featuring an outdoor environment with a small water area. The control point is suspended above the water. Zip features a Nav file for bots.
First map made by me under Squids With Guns, since we are looking for a bit of experience and attention. 20180922144641_1.jpg
20180922145245_1.jpg
20180922145313_1.jpg
20180922144911_1.jpg

Agent Braise - SWG

Sep 22, 2018
Yeah, I've always had trouble with things like that. I've tried to use the Boathouse to help with cover, along with the two hills. Thanks for the feedback!

Mess About

L7: Fancy Member
Jan 16, 2017
how about you guys raise the CP platform up like this:
traditional-wooden-thai-house-river-canal-home-B2WDTB.jpg

not just block the sightlines, but also make the geometry more interesting to fight

Agent Braise - SWG

Sep 22, 2018
Yeah, for whatever reason, I have a lot of trouble with that kinda thing, I'll try working on a map with better terrain, thank you so much for bringing this to my attention!

Nethy

Jan 19, 2018
Glad you realized that your map needs to fix sight lines and work on geometry in terms of varying height. I would suggest you look at the actual mid point & the depth of your lake/rainwater puddle. Props aren't always the ideal anti sightline tool as you can also just varying heights of terrain to fix those problems with a other minor buildings. I would recommend a few tips/issues to fix for this map.
  1. I would look at the lake part as water combat tends to be very dissatisfying for both teams as it generally doesn't flow with Tf2's combat. I.e Demos, Pyros (unless they specifically go Pyro Shark, and even spies to an extent are always at a disadvantage. Especially with how deep this pond is.
    • I.e Demo pills are significantly slowed, Pyros can't use their flamethrowers, and Invis Spies create a bubble stream and can be tracked
  2. I would try and raise the overall ground and avoid deep & large scale water battles. This limits for the most part 1/3 of all classes. (Most non hitscan classes like Soldier or Demo will hate fighting against a Heavy or Scout due to Water slowing their movement making them easy targets while they themselves cannot effectively fight the scout/heavy (I believe water slows rockets too but I don't remember).
    • Judging from your map name; it might be better to create a bank like geography. So that it slowly becomes deeper and you're only underwater at the far left of the map (from picture perspective).
  3. Minor: If you do stick with the lake you might want to explain or redesign the midpoint, as the boats can't actually leave their building float across the midpoint :p
    • Maybe do a floating dock?
Hope that gives you some ideas of what to fix!

(Also this is all subjective and you can choose to completely ignore my opinions c: I don't have your vision for the map, so its up to you to decide what you think can be applied to your map and what you want to disregard).

Agent Braise - SWG

Sep 22, 2018
Yeah, I've had no experience with water, and the maps design and vision is pretty flawed. I'm probably going to go make another map, but the experience with displacements I got from making this map will help tremendously. I learned one major thing, I have to always check if displacements are actually compatible with each other. Thank you for the tips, I may revisit this map in the future!