Quick question about those map preview thumbnail things...

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by 404UNF, May 21, 2011.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    How do you create those and get them to properly display to people who use the "Simplified" server browser ingame?

I know there's a tutorial (or like, a hundred tutorials) out there, but I forget what the heck those preview thumbnails are called, so my Google searching has yielded no results.

2. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Oh! And also, is it possible to do this for a custom-made map:

[​IMG]

I already know about creating <mapname>_english.txt, which I've done for the map that my server uses; "achievement_idle_spytech". I created "achievement_idle_spytech_english.txt".

But I want to create my own little map image boxes like the ones in the image above and make a similar "map info" screen like in the above screenshot of cp_5gorge

3. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    The ones for the "simple server browser" cannot be packed into your map, people must download and install them separately. And the people who would do that probably aren't using the simple-view anyway. So AFAIK that one is a bit of a lost-cause.

The second ones (the "map intro" screen) are described here.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Codename22

Codename22 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
  5. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Ok so I'll skip the previews.

As for the menu photos....would I have to BZIP the created menu photo files up and upload them to my server's FastDL for other players to see them? I assume I would.

Normally I'd upload the actual VTF/VMT files to the proper directory of my gameserver, then BZIP copies of the VTF/VMT files and upload them to the proper directory on my FastDL.

6. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    For TF2 maps you always take your custom content and "pack" it into the BSP, resulting in a somewhat larger file. (As opposed to .res files or .vpk packages.) You must do this for all custom content you make, VMTs, VTFs, Models, soundscapes, particles, etc.

When the game loads the map, it temporarily "pretends" that the packed content is in the equivalent spot on the hard-drive.

Note that cubemaps are a special case: The game itself rewrites the BSP to include them when they are generated. (Side note: Don't rename your BSP file after it has been compiled. It breaks stuff.)

To do the "packing" step, you have a few choices:

• Use bspzip.exe which comes with the SDK and should already be on your hard-drive. Not very user-friendly, but does exactly what you ask of it.
    • Use PackBSP (this is mine, I'm biased)
    • Use Pakrat (old, abandoned, but still very popular)
    • Use Map Analyst (?)