Purple props

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Queops

L2: Junior Member
Apr 30, 2008
Newbie Queops map questions

Purple props solved.

I will continue to post on this topic all of my map making problems.

Last edited:

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
mat_specular 0, buildcubemaps, disconnect, mat_hdr_level 0, map <map_name>, buildcubemaps, disconnect, mat_hdr_level 2, mat_specular 1

Add one or more env_cubemap entities to your map (used for each reflection) then put those commands into the console (one after the other) and then you'll have nice reflections.

You don't have to do this for every compile, its just a waste of time, instead do it to check cubemaps are how you want them and for final compiles (before ANY public release)

Queops

Apr 30, 2008
Ahh, I understand. Thanks I will try!

EDIT: I just added env_cubemap. It looks like I don't have to do any console commands ATM.

Last edited:

DasMatze

May 17, 2008
mat_specular 0, buildcubemaps, disconnect, mat_hdr_level 0, map <map_name>, buildcubemaps, disconnect, mat_hdr_level 2, mat_specular 1
Valve updates the create a server mode secretly. It's not possible anymore to deactivate the reflections with mat_specular 0 while ingame for example.

DasMatze

Queops

Apr 30, 2008
2urr1vr.png

How can I join these, or make it look like a continuous rock wall?
I've red Youme's tutorial but I can't get it right :S
Thanks in advance

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
grab the clipping tool, select the displacements further away than the ledge and clip then im two along the top of the ledge (the bottom of the other displacement) then select all fo them and hit "sew"

Queops

Apr 30, 2008
I can't get it working :S
I came up with something, is there a way 2 join 2 blocks, make it as one, like this:
6 - lY8b2HK.jpg
And then do the displacements?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
if you do it like that you need to make sure the smaller edge they join along is 1/2 of the larger edge.
or the better, easier way is to use the clipping tool to carry the horizontal line from the bottom of the smaller one on though the bigger one

Queops

Apr 30, 2008
Actually, R3drum's way worked very well.
Another question: what should I use to stop bullets, rockets and dangerous stuff from going trough something?