KotH prescott

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by ScorpioUprising, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    My first entry for the Two Skillsets mapping contest. A fairly basic koth map with a badlands inspired central point. The layout is fairly basic to accommodate the large size of the spire, so I'll probably be looking to make some changes that liven things up a bit.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  2. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    competish heatin up. your mapping style has definitely changed/evolved. looks fun.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    Initial test. Map is too big. Middle is going to be slimmed and area around spawn as well. Looks like Red doors is broked, fix asap.

4. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    Changgeees made. A2: Shortened middle area and spawn area. Changed health pack positions in houses and made them medium. Spire is a little smaller around the spawn side edges for the adjusted size of the combat space.

Map is a soldier paradise. Looking to adjust for other classes, namely scout, with some tricky hops to get around the spire.

5. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    A3 is out. Ground around middle is fully displaced now. Very basic, only really there to ensure smooth movement between lower and higher spaces. Still thinking on how best to maximize scout movement. Smoothed out some displacement ramps to the upper areas.

6. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't had a chance to play this yet, so take this with a grain of salt. I'm not sure this this rock is high as it is for a specific reason.

When running around as a scout, I felt this could be a cool route:

[​IMG]

Looking great so far though!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    The rock is mostly to (slightly) block a sniper sightline from the door to the point. But, yes, thats an option as well, and its the sort of thing I'm looking for.

8. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    A4 is out. Lowered rock on the right side for scout jumps, added a set of boxes on the left to give the same jump. Added a fence to the point to block off mini sentry shenanigans (curssseee youuuu miniii sentryyy!). Added some additional geometry around spawn. Extended unplayable space to give more room for detailing.

Map is in a good place. Simple, direct, lots of room for detailing outside of the map while maintaining a very clean interior.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Oswinnin

Oswinnin L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Looking great so far, seems quite fun too!

10. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    This isn't saying much, and I haven't played the map or anything, but I feel like the mid point structure is a level too tall. Like, the point should be on the same level as the pills and small ammo. The height variation just feels too steep for a lot of classes to handle properly.

11. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    In my playtests so far this hasn't been much of an issue. I've seen quite a few different classes on the point that aren't just soldier/scout/demo. In fact, someone mentioned that they might want a third level added, which I'm considering just to see how that would play out.

12. Prestige

Positive Ratings:
    during the gameday today, i never found the bottom route appealing. It seems to take longer to get to the point unless you rocketjump and you are at a height disadvantage. But then I went down there once and the map got 50x more fun. so uh yeah, good feedback.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    Gonnaputthepointinsidethehillmap200Xmorefun.

14. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    A5 is out. A5: Removed bridges to point. Most classes (not heavy, soldier) can make it across the gap to the point by jumping, but its riskier. Replaced brushwork cover in the lower entrance to middle with rocks.

These changes were mostly to incentivize other routes to the point other than left and right. Seems to be working, we'll see how it plays out. I may have to rework the spirals to the point.

15. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Why you have to hate on heavies, Scorpio? :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    Diet, exercise, work ethic, sticktoitiveness; these are the qualities that will allow overweight Russians to ascend to the control point.

Or, like, GRU. GRU works as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Prestige

Positive Ratings:
    kind of worried about those narrow differences in length confusing players. feel like a lot of hovies and soldiers are gonna try to jump, take fall damage, and then cry :( add a jump pad/fan underneath the gap, obviously.

18. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings:
    A6 is out. Added windows to spawn. Spaced out health ammo a bit. Added patches for health/ammo. Adjusted some geometry at middle.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. ScorpioUprising

aa ScorpioUprising

Positive Ratings: