Possible Solution to "Map coordinate extents are too large" error

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Beef Bucket, May 29, 2020.

1. Beef Bucket

aa Beef Bucket

Positive Ratings:
    It is incredible that we are still finding ways completely break this engine. Last week, when working on my ill-fated microcontest entry, I encountered this strange error when attempting to load the map:
    Host_EndGame: Map coordinate extents are too large!!
    Check for errors!​

Checking Alt+P and the compile log for errors returned nothing, and the map itself was cordoned to a reasonable area. However, I was eventually able to trace the problem to an instance which had a cordon box of its own. Once I disabled this, the map loaded successfully.
    Hopefully this helps someone who repeats this error in another twelve years.

2. SIMMONDS

SIMMONDS L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    12 years later we'll be whipping on the Source 2 hammer :cool:

3. Freyja

aa Freyja It hurt itself in it's confusion!

Positive Ratings:
    This is because cordon actually fills the entire grid with brushes with the cordon texture (default skybox).

If an instance is somewhere other than the origin, those grid-sized brushes likely push over the grid of the main map and cause this error.

4. creevlo

creevlo L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Oh wow I had a thread asking about this around a week ago and I couldn't find a solution to the error, and since im still a newbie to hammer I have no idea what any of that cordon stuff means. Do you mind explaining what that me kinda?

5. Pinsplash

Pinsplash bad bad bad

Positive Ratings:
    it temporarily cuts down a map to the inside of a box for convenience (mainly so that compiles can be done faster) https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Hammer_Cordon_Usage