pl_redroad

PL pl_redroad b1v4

dotico

L1: Registered
Jan 24, 2024
dotico submitted a new resource:

pl_redroad - Work In-Progress

A work-in-progress payload map. The first two objectives are complete and function correctly. Depending on how long it takes to complete the first points, it may either be multi-stage or single-stage.

Working to replicate the feeling of early Valve maps like Goldrush but a little more balanced and (hopefully) less likely to stalemate. Features some fun flank routes that open following the capture of the first objective.

Looking for feedback on gameplay, not bug-fixes...

Read more about this resource...

dotico

Jan 24, 2024
dotico updated pl_redroad with a new update entry:

first playtest changes

Edited the map heavily with updates from playtesters. Thanks everyone!
These will probably be the last edits before I begin working on 3rd.

Changelog:
BLU spawn:
  • Updated spawnroom to accurately reflect which areas are a neutral zone, and which areas belong to blue (AKA extended blue spawn).
  • Removed a resupply locker (?)
  • Added props to left entrance to cut the sightline to the resupply locker
  • Shortened right exit platform to prevent non-blast jumping classes on RED...

Read the rest of this update entry...

dotico

Jan 24, 2024
Overall feedback from second playtest seems to indicate that I overcorrected significantly, making RED way too strong. In a1 red only won basically once due to a last minute clutch from a good demo. In this recent playtest, they won almost every single time. And dramatically so.

TODO list 1:
  1. Remove several ammokits
  2. Add more ways for blu to return to spawn
  3. Make it more obvious which part of blu spawn actually belongs to blu, and isn't neutral zone..... or just axe the neutral zone entirely.
  4. Remove several pickups, primarily ammokits
  5. Make it less engineer friendly somehow without overcorrecting again
  6. make flanks more obvious than they already are?
  7. move red spawn back a little somehow, might be too ballsy with how forward it is currently
  8. add glass to blu neutral zone/dropdowns so its not so... blind
  9. and my favorite feedback:
    image.png
Will update TODO list as I watch the demo!
After these changes and add the next several points, onto a3 I imagine.

TODO 2:
  1. removing neutral zone in blu spawn in favor of making it more obvious to both teams
  2. add visualizers to neutral (now blu) doors
  3. add stairs to blue spawn dropper (no longer 1-way)
  4. add glass to blue spawn
  5. re-open door in left barn
  6. re-open glass/wood window on right barn
  7. decide whether or not to permanently open the drop-down bridge in flank
  8. tighten alt corridor in flank, remove pickups. move red side exit further back again, widen doorway.
  9. remove red forward spawn completely (lol), but keep the building as a neutral area that red can hold when they work really hard for it
  10. one-way door for red that attaches into blu flank under red 1 spawn is open permanently, but closes after point 1 is capped.
  11. remove grate thing by point due to spam
  12. remove glass so spies can feel less opressed
  13. remove sign on blu side of railroad entrance
  14. exchange large ammokit inside the sliding door zone for a small
  15. move medium healthkit from the first building outside red spawn into the next building over with the broken windows, remove medium ammokit
  16. remove small ammokit by fences
  17. remove large ammokit on balcony on 2nd
  18. change medium ammokit below to be large instead
  19. red spawn will now have two more exits, one directly below into the 2nd point, and then one that exits below the OOB fence thingy underneath blu flank
Also did some more study on good payload maps to see exactly why and where they feel nice, and what geometry is normal (turns out, maps that dont feel flat somehow often still have completely flat tracks except for one choice location. Wonder why.

Last edited:

dotico

Jan 24, 2024

dotico

Jan 24, 2024

many bugfixes

I was a goofball and published with some glaring bugs. So, I decided to stop hotfixing and just sit there and fix everything. So, I went ahead and changed the locations of a few kits so bots can grab them easier, fixed the signs appearing at the wrong times, changed the arrow indicators from a func_door to a func_brush so they just instantly materialize and dont stick out of the ceilings, and made red's respawn time a little longer (it was INSANELY fast when pushing as blu in prelim bot...

dotico

Jan 24, 2024

b1v4 is here

Last has been completely redesigned/extended. There is a new building right before last which should remedy some issues, and even hooks into the point beforehand. It is incomplete right now, but I would still like to get the redesign tested on 24 players.
I got the map tested on a 100 player server for the worst-case scenario regarding chokepoints. As it turns out, the map is actually somewhat balanced and I made a few changes in this.

Changelog:
1st area:
  1. Removed...