Pipeball Ultra

PIPEBALL Pipeball Ultra rc4b

T

The Asylum

Sooooooooooo, bonus rooms are acting up again. Somehow, under some conditions that so far I have no idea what they are, the bonus round will go into overtime until a goal is scored. I have no idea how it's happening.

The timer- sorry, I should be more specific- the ACTUAL timer, is a logic_timer, which handles the end of round events when 60 seconds expire. The timer you see in the HUD is just for show. It has no outputs, and the only inputs it receives are pause and reset. So, it SHOULDN'T be calling for overtime, and yet, perplexingly, it somehow IS anyway. Maybe, just maybe, I'll have to do the same thing I did with the main timer to get around the overtime issues there- instead of handling things with a team_round_timer or even a logic_timer, the actual timekeeping system is a func_tracktrain. Though, honestly I don't know for sure if that's going to work, and porting it over from a logic_timer to another tracktrain is going to be like moving a house of cards. The chances of fucking everything up is extraordinarily high.

B2 may be awhile longer yet.

T

The Asylum

The Asylum updated Pipeball Ultra with a new update entry:

B2

CHANGES FROM B1:

- Added guiding lines to the control points to show players where the relevant points are
- Fixed issue with the main pipe doors where they could potentially close early, trapping the ball inside
- Some better optimization and playerclipping
- (hopefully) fixed issue with the bonus room rounds never ending until a goal is scored
- Added some... "improvements," to the Secret Killswitch Room
- Widened the escalators in the bonus rooms

Read the rest of this update entry...

T

The Asylum

It took an entire 24+ hours, but I finally got this piece of shit finished, sealed, and compiled! It's update time!

CHANGES FROM B1:
- Added guiding lines to the control points to show players where the relevant points are
- Fixed issue with the main pipe doors where they could potentially close early, trapping the ball inside
- Some better optimization and playerclipping
- (hopefully) fixed issue with the bonus room rounds never ending until a goal is scored
- Added some... "improvements," to the Secret Killswitch Room
- Widened the escalators in the bonus rooms

I wasn't able to get the bonus room overtime issue to trigger but I'm 99% sure it's been resolved. Here's hoping.

T

The Asylum

SUCCESS!! IT WORKED!!!!

The bonus room rounds end when they're supposed to now, PD overtime or not! Other than one very strange incident where the game ended early during tonight's test, which is a first. No idea how it happened, but 99% of the time it works as intended. Other than that, the last major kink has been worked out, now all that's left to do is fine tuning and details. That's right! It's RC time!

...well, not yet, but bar any other catastrophic discoveries with B2, it's stable enough to leave alone while I do..... things...... for the inaugural RC build.

Big things, they are a' coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Asylum

I feel like I owe some explanations.

First, the vent fans. For the bonus rooms, the vent routes may help the attacking team thin out the defenders a bit, but they don't really end up contributing to moving the ball towards the goal that much. There's been multiple demos that I've seen where half the attacking team goes through the vents or camps up on the upper level, while the ball stays untouched in the bottom corner almost the entire minute. That's why there's that pushback. So when the clock reads 30 or so seconds left, maybe you should stop trying to be a cheeky little nuisance and, you know, actually try to complete the objective? The vent fans in the main rink though? Mmmmm, well if I don't remove them I'll at least nerf them quite a bit. The route is long enough.

Bonus room time. I had one person ask to shorten it to 30-45 seconds. I already had that once and people HATED it. So, 60 seconds it is. Also, Sniper battlements on the main rink? Sweet Tezcatlipoca, no. Snipers are already on the cusp of being OP, we don't need to be making it worse.

Now for limitations.

Can't do anything about the ball not being affected by Pyro's airblast, or the general problem of players getting stuck in the ball. It's unfortunately the deal with how func_physbox works.

Also, when you see or hear the overtime announcement or in the HUD, that's not supposed to mean there is an overtime period. When it happens on the main rink, it's because the main timer has run out and players are still capping the points. When it happens in the bonus rooms, well, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that Pipeball Ultra is technically running on Player Destruction, and so when a "flag" is in play there is nowhere to capture it and score points- hence the never ending overtime bug, hence why I needed a way to force the game to end the bonus round and ignore the overtime in the first place. Apparently just having the end of bonus round events fire on a logic_timer won't do the trick- either a trigger volume fires the end of round events (such as when a goal is scored), or the current solution, when a func_tracktrain reaches a path_track. People think that Pipeball Ultra is a masterful weave of entities and game logic, when in reality, it's a jury-rigged patchwork mess that's being held together with duct tape and a prayer. So, unfortunately, there's going to be issues like this that will likely be confusing to players not completely familiar with how it's supposed to work.

Now tell me what you think of this: Medics having their Übercharge rate boosted to 125%. Faster Übercharge build means more people able to use their Über and be less salty about losing their progress when the map transitions. Or Engineer's default build rate being boosted 125% as well. The reason why I hadn't addressed this earlier was, well, I didn't think it would matter. Think of it like this: you're playing Dustbowl or some other multi stage map. When BLU wins a round, instead of all the fanfare and killing sprees and waiting around for the next leg to start, what if you were just all thrown into the next round, all ready to go? That's kind of how I looked at Pipeball Ultra's setup- like a multi stage map, with the fat trimmed off. People didn't complain about their buildings or Übers then, why would they now? Well, apparently I was very much mistaken.

Now, successes.

My idea to draw lines from the spawn to the aligned control points worked exactly as I hoped- much more people ended up trying to cap the goal expander than ever before, and fewer people were trying to cap points that were off limits to their team. So, expect the lines to be a permanent fixture.

Now, for things that ARE there and should work but somehow don't....

There is a sound that plays when a goal is scored, don't know why some people couldn't hear it. Same with the text that pops up and tells players a goal is scored and a respawn is imminent. It's likely due to people using minimal HUD. How I'm going to communicate all of Pipeball Ultra's functions without being overly intrusive or a wall of text on an in-game poster, yeah, I don't know. And no, I'm not doing a pre-round tutorial. That's a bad idea, even by my standards. As long as people get the idea behind "ball move, ball go in hole," that's most of the battle done.

So what can we expect to see from RC1? I'm not entirely sure, but there will be changes, and they will be significant.

T

The Asylum

IIIIIIIIIIIT'S TIIIIIIIIIIIME!

....for RC1? Oh... no. No no no, not yet. It's nowhere close to 2024. That's when I'm ballparking RC1 to be good enough to send out. There is A LOT that I'm doing, and maybe half of the existing brushwork from B2 is not expected to survive. So what is it time for, then? Why, B3 of course!

20230713210653_1.jpg

The only changes at all from B2 are these bumpers in the bonus rooms, and the removal of the blowback in the vent flanks on the main rink. The ball always getting pinned down in the corners of the bonus rooms are a thing of the past, and hopefully this will help the attacking team score more frequently.

So here it is, the shortest changelog ever!

CHANGES FROM B2:
  • Added another pair of angled bumpers by the pillars of the bonus rooms, to keep the ball out of the corners
  • No more blowback in the vent flanks on the main rink.
  • That's all, folks! See you next year!

T

The Asylum

So something else that needs clarification after tonight's test- a goal is only valid once the ball reaches the end of the pipe

Gotta get your ball all the way down the hole

T

The Asylum

I mean, I think it's pretty easy to grasp. There's a ball. Shoot ball. Ball move. Shoot ball into hole. Shoot ball in hole make score go bigger. More score make team win. It really isn't rocket science, and yet... well, yeah. So, as much as I hate to admit it, we really do need a tutorial. How to do that is really eluding me, though. Sure, I could just do an audio recording of me running down the rules and have it all over in under 20 seconds, but there's a problem. See, I'm Canadian.

If you think Mexican standoffs are intense, wait until you see one of the fabled Canadian standoffs. We are an aggressively nice people. Sure, you, dear reader, have no problem understanding all this sound and fury, but TF2 is played internationally. Places where English isn't quite as readily digested. And I'm not making pipeball_ultra_dutch, or pipeball_ultra_korean, or pipeball_ultra_japanese, etc. Pictures, however, transcend language, and that's the real sticky wicket I'll need to deal with. How I'm going to do that, I have no idea. Fortunately, though, I have a feeling I'm one of those creative types. I'll think of something. Eventually.

What I'm going to do is still an unknown, and how I'm going to do it is also a mystery. Pipeball Ultra works on some VERY convoluted weaving of timers and logic, and wedging in a smash cut to a tutorial in the middle of all that finely tuned machinery is going to take a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTA work. That, and also take into account that Pipeball Ultra is, well, full. I'm dancing on a very fine line on maxplanes right now. Not to take away from the incredible job Brain Dead did on the laundry machine models, but if maxplanes were no issue, I'd be making all the shitty brushwork props I wanted. But, since that's not the case, how to get the tutorial setup working on a physical sense is also a good question.

And- yes, there's more problems! And also how Hammer likes to just start making random things leak if I make seemingly any small innocent change between compiles is another recurring hurdle for me to navigate.

I earmarked 2024 as a safe bet for the inaugural RC build. Looks like I just might be right.

T

The Asylum

Or........

How about I do go the audio route, and instead of verbal instructions playing automatically, it instead plays by hitting a func_button, with the phrase "how to play" written on it in whatever language is relevant. So one button will read "Hoe te spelen," for Dutch, or "Spielanleitung," for German, etc.

I'll likely have to seek out native speakers of said languages, as I am absolutely certain I will butcher them if I try it myself. Many hours of middle school French class had made that abundantly clear for me.

T

The Asylum

Yeah so its happening now. Everyone has their limit, and my dudes, I've finally reached mine.

After months of trying to get this fucking thing compiling without leaking through walls, I finally have at least SOMETHING stable enough to compile. I move a prop an inch, something leaks. I add another brush, something leaks. I forget to do the magic ceremonial dance before I run a compile, something leaks. If I sit here and merely EXIST, it somehow remains sealed and everythings fine

..... no, it leaks when I do that too.

You know, for what I was able to add, what I've got is good enough. So here we go!

20231015101514_1.jpg
20231015101450_1.jpg

The bases look so much better! They're no longer some homogeneous brick lumps

20230807144812_1.jpg

You like visual cues? Thanks to Yrr for the jump pad particles and Tiftid for the cannon signage overlays, now the cannon loading pits are no longer invisible deathtraps!

pbub1_0005.jpg
20230811230859_1.jpg
20230811230934_1.jpg

The bonus rooms also get an upgrade. Score a goal here, and on a chance to get the sneaky knockout win, the goal will smoke and subtly shake, along with flashing sirens! Shit's real hardcore now, and if the finishing goal is scored, the Goldrush explosion effect goes off! Thanks to Snickerpuffs for the idea!

Oh yeah, and also thanks to Brain Dead for those sexy laundry machine models!

Speaking of goals, once a ball gets far enough into the goal pipe, it'll get sucked down at warp speed and into the scoring trigger. That'll help you guys beat the buzzer. And if you fall into the goals or the cannon loading pipe?

20231015101724_1.jpg

Yup, it's a throwback to Pipeball Classic! Welcome to the gore pit!

20231015101550_1.jpg

The scaffolds look better too

So that's all that was added... that made the cut. What didn't get in didn't get in due to the whole "fuck you im leaking now" thing, you ask? Well, here it is:

No skybox. Just use your imagination.

No tutorial. Still don't know what to do? I dunno, have you tried being smarter?

No hookers and blackjack. Something something copyright infringement.

And then theres a bunch of other stuff i dont remember its been a long and frustrating ride and ive had enough. Bar any really catastrophic oversights, I think we're just about done here. Changelog time!

CHANGES FROM B3
  • Visual cues for the ball cannons and other enhancements
  • Blowback in the vents reduced where otherwise not eliminated
  • The ball gets sped up in the goal pipe to get to the goal trigger faster
  • other stuff i guess

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Asylum

So I've had RC2 done for awhile now, don't know why I never bothered uploading it. Anxious, I guess. Probably wont call it done until I get a video and menu photos made, maybe once I can scrape enough together for my editing software again. So, here it is, and we'll see how she goes.

CHANGES FROM RC1:
  • Added turbophysics, so no more getting trapped in the ball, and if it's going fast enough it can actually hurt you.
  • Tweaked the optimization a wee bit

T

The Asylum

pbu_intro.png

There we are, this is the "tutorial" that will display for 10 seconds via viewcontrol at the beginning of every round. Now, the real sarcastic bastard in me would totally have players hit a ball into a "practice hole" in the spawnroom for 30 seconds during setup time, but, as I've said, PBU is too big and too unstable for the compiler to allow that to happen. Hopefully, this and a heavier ball in RC3 will finally see this absurd project to it's final build.