Official Valve Contest - Team Fortress 2: Polycount Pack

randomteddy

L1: Registered
Jun 5, 2009
I have no doubts this will produce 80% complete garbage, 10% decent stuff and 10% great/amazing things.

I really DO hope people put effort into this. Polycount is known to make great models and generally be a great modeling community, but I fear that the steamforum morons will turn it into a shitfest of box models on sticks.

I'll try my best.......also I already started
start.jpg

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
I have no doubts this will produce 80% complete garbage, 10% decent stuff and 10% great/amazing things.

I really DO hope people put effort into this. Polycount is known to make great models and generally be a great modeling community, but I fear that the steamforum morons will turn it into a shitfest of box models on sticks.

You're being awfully generous with those percentages.

Judging by the handful of threads already posted, containing 0 content, I'd say SPUF has already invaded that section.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
@randomteddy, if you notice all of valve's original weapons look rather home-brew, medigun has tape on it, rocketlauncher is definitely modified, flamethrower uses a petrol pump nozzle as it's trigger etc.

Yours looks incredibly high-tech and like it could only be cleanly manufactured rather than built by an amateur.

its a nice model but I'm not sure it fits.

randomteddy

L1: Registered
Jun 5, 2009
Thanks for the crit. I'll keep that in mind

Dragonstorm24

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2009
I have some weapons in mind ( if i can ever compile with blender) for the Sniper, new rifle, new kukri, new smg, with duct tape involved

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks for the crit. I'll keep that in mind

That better be a kritzkrieg replacement for that comment! :O

I also am taking another look at the medic, a class who I've longed to give some love to. (although the blut and ubersaw are two of the coolest looking unlockables)

Nov 14, 2009
I think their forums has caught SPUF cancer. I dont see a single picture of the models anyone is making...

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I think their forums has caught SPUF cancer. I dont see a single picture of the models anyone is making...

look harder. I saw multiple.

But admittedly, how many people will have time to start -modeling- on day 1? Hardly anyone, cause you gotta plan these things otherwise they all go to pot.

Its just like our contests, we get billions of "OMG I'M GUNNA ENTER THIS" posts in the contest thread and no one posts their wips.... cause they haven't anything to show yet because its the first damn day.

Geal

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
So I'm considering making a new scattergun for scout. Back when the community page came out I had the idea for a scattergun with blown-out barrels that have shark mouths/eyes painted on them like WW2 fighter planes, but that doesn't really fit into the Scout theme very well. If anything it'd be better as a soldier rocket launcher, but I haven't any other ideas for soldier stuff.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008

But seeing as in this case it's going through TWO institutions ranking and judging the entries, I doubt much of the box models on sticks will get through (unless, of course, they are very GOOD box models on sticks).

And remember guys, the clever classes to model for at the moment are the Medic, the Spy, and the Engineer - those three haven't got any community weapons yet (and the Engineer hasn't got any unlocks at all!).

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
Not long now! (I predict the Thursday after next). Spent aaages last night just looking through the differen't types of items that people have come up with (favourite being the crocodile skin Sniper). Anyways, I'm a bit late to the party but I feel I must contribute something, even if I can't win...

I've got an idea of a trophy that could be given to everyone that's taken part (or perhaps just the overall winner).

Here's a quick and dirty mock up of it:

winnar.jpg

A usable trophy, for the Scout - worth making and sending in anyway? That's not the final design btw, I'll be adding more detail as I go along.

Bad Vlad

L2: Junior Member
May 23, 2010
A usable trophy, for the Scout - worth making and sending in anyway? That's not the final design btw, I'll be adding more detail as I go along.

You mean, a golden vuvuzela to annoy even more people with?