Odd lighting problems (pics!)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by dirtyminuth, Dec 15, 2007.

1. dirtyminuth

dirtyminuth L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi everyone, registered a few weeks ago, got absorbed in mapping. The map is coming along nicely, and I'll try to get a separate thread on its progress in the coming week. For now, I've run into some strange lighting problems, in particular regarding prop_statics. Let the analysis begin!

Pic 1: Completely black prop_static
    The metal plank wedged between the wall and platform is completely black. The origin of the prop is probably in a dark area, but that doesn't mean the entire thing should be dark. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

Pic 2: Fully lit prop_static
    The bright metal planks on the roof appear fully lit from inside the building. Notice the surrounding wood (world geometry): it's somewhat dark. What is causing the difference?
    [​IMG]

Pic 3: Inconsistent lighting past fence
    Notice the lighting difference on different sides of the fence. There is a clip brush that divides this wall, could that be the issue?
    [​IMG]

Pic 4: Darkened truck
    This truck appears dark, regardless of whether it's inside or outside of the building. The front of the truck should appear brighter, yes? That's my intuition.
    [​IMG]

I'm compiling using standard lighting (i.e. "default" in Hammer). I'm also using vanilla prop_statics (no attribute changes). Is there something obvious I'm not accounting for? Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Buster Charlie

Buster Charlie Guest

Positive Ratings:
  3. spaceweasels

aa spaceweasels

Positive Ratings:
    For #1, I think you have a bad brush that is spilling over. The easy fix it to find the brush causing that and turning it into a func_detail.

For the others, make sure you have a cubemap nearby. Cubemaps help with lighting, especially when you have weird lighting reflections.