October Map Showcases! Clock Edition

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
I think it became clear to everyone else than Alias on why these maps were added and not anything else. Fr0Z3nR explained why it was as it is. I don't always agree with him either on some matters, but he did the logical choice on showcasing them. It's always nice to see your own work mentioned, but thats not why i agree with him now. I would have propably done the same on his shoes.

Custom made maps do deserve recognition. I know this better than anyone else, because for the past 10 years i've been running a finnish community and playing, testing and enjoying many of the maps people have made. Only ~7 years for TF2 but for the other games too before that, there has been countless playtests. It also takes 2 other things, to have maps and time to test the maps.

Exactly that nearly 7 years i've also digged into mapping myself and what happened less than 2 weeks ago, was the highlight moment of my freetime mapping "career". Just like having my CS Source maps played on community servers, such as UKCS before this.

There will be more showcases each month and a lot of maps that have never been made official, are waiting to get displayed and recognition. Maybe someone can make a list of maps that should be considered into showcase and we take the discussion there. Or a thread that could suggest maps into showcase, in addition of the person who did the map. If there are maps we have tested, i will dig in and tell why they are good or have not been accepted into mapcycles on our servers after the tests were concluded.

Got any maps right now Alias that you would like to see showcased?

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Got any maps right now Alias that you would like to see showcased?
As posted earlier i think turbine event and burghausen were worth to be mentioned. Especialy since burghausen also has a halloween version. These 2 maps have proven themselve on the workshop by being top maps. And with the event version of burghausen the regular version can be put in the showcase with it.
I think it became clear to everyone else than Alias on why these maps were added and not anything else. Fr0Z3nR explained why it was as it is.
He explained it perfectly:
As crash said, I was rushed to push this out because I've been busy with loads of things getting ready to head out of state. The next showcase, moat likely in november will most likely be 'better' by the guidelines you've mentioned.
But that doesnt mean i cant post my feedback on why i still think it was a bad decision, because the first part of that post still conflicted with it. If i wouldnt have posted about it, would he even be aware of it? And because it might have been initialy unclear on why i believe it was a bad decision i needed more posts to explain it. But in the end i want the showcasing to improve as much as possible. Thats why i had to give my feedback.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
I don't quite understand, then, why you're making such a huge deal over a single showcase announcement that was rushed due to unique circumstances. You've made your point, this showcase could be better. Both Crash and Fr0Z3n have stated that the next showcase will be better. What more do you want them to say?
As posted earlier i think turbine event and burghausen were worth to be mentioned. Especialy since burghausen also has a halloween version. These 2 maps have proven themselve on the workshop by being top maps. And with the event version of burghausen the regular version can be put in the showcase with it.

I think I can say with certainty that Turbine and Burghausen were not considered this time because they have barely been tested on our servers and their mappers do not actively promote or develop their work here. The Steam Workshop is separate; just because a map is popular over there, doesn't mean it represents TF2Maps as a community.

Now, since you seem to have missed it the first time:
If you think certain maps deserve showcase recognition, feel free to encourage the author to polish it up and bring it to the attention of the staff.

Here's a link to the submission rules page again.

Jivvi

L1: Registered
Jun 28, 2015
I don't quite understand, then, why you're making such a huge deal over a single showcase announcement that was rushed due to unique circumstances. You've made your point, this showcase could be better. Both Crash and Fr0Z3n have stated that the next showcase will be better. What more do you want them to say?

I think I can say with certainty that Turbine and Burghausen were not considered this time because they have barely been tested on our servers and their mappers do not actively promote or develop their work here. The Steam Workshop is separate; just because a map is popular over there, doesn't mean it represents TF2Maps as a community.

Now, since you seem to have missed it the first time:

Here's a link to the submission rules page again.
The system of submission strikes me as odd since you cannot nominate others' maps, and the thread that the big fancy banner links to doesn't have a link to submissions either, or even explain what the showcase is. The showcase announcements do not reside in the Showcase subforum or nearby, either. Looking back through previous months, a lot of the wording seems to imply that staff hand pick showcase maps, and while they do to a degree, this is from a submitted pool that isn't well-advertised. I don't mean any offense, but the showcase as it stands seems to be contained to the community, and not really be open to or showcased to the wider community.

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Showcase is for valve quality maps made by TF2Maps
These are valve quality maps made by TF2Maps
Did I miss anything? Out of the loop a bit, but what Valve quality maps have been released recently enough to get into the showcase?

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I was first only stating i didnt like the process where some people said i called this whole showcase thread useless. First, i never would call a thread like this useless as that is an insult. To me 'useless' and 'a waste' is a huge diffirence. Useless means that in no way it has any use, where a waste just says that some of it has been wasted, but in the end it still has a usefull part. In this case that is the part that tf2maps is happy about the maps getting ingame. Im only stating that it could have been better. And in my case i would personaly just have delayed that post and improve it later.
But this confusion is why i continued to respond about it. If i dont respond i would sound like someone who is just insulting things for nothing (which would be an insult to me as i rather dont insult anyone). In my case i only wanted to state a disagreement which got heavily pulled out of context. In the end im still happy that tf2maps can post such thread, but i personaly also care about other maps.
Showcase is for valve quality maps made by TF2Maps
These are valve quality maps made by TF2Maps
http://tf2maps.net/threads/burghausen-3-stage-medieval-mode.22421/
Burghausen is also initialy tf2maps as origin.
Thats still 1/2 maps i mentioned that remained usefull on that
but what Valve quality maps have been released recently enough to get into the showcase?
And on this part i already have to disagree on a part of that statement, specificly the part of 'recently'. As for example, would this suddenly make burghausen unable to ever become worthy for the showcase (as its from 3-jun i cant call it recent anymore)?
No matter when released, if its valve quality and of tf2maps origin it should be added. Maybe not instantly, but delayed 3 months because the more recent maps take priority on the showcase because they are recent (and more recent maps obviously are more interesting to post about). But eventualy they should be added, even if its just to fill up a post.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
In my case i only wanted to state a disagreement which got heavily pulled out of context. In the end im still happy that tf2maps can post such thread, but i personaly also care about other maps.

People pulling things out of context has been happening a lot here lately. :p

Simple solution is that the showcase update posts don't HAVE to be limited to monthly things. If Valve continue to accept 3-4 maps at the rate they've been doing, there really is nothing wrong with having two such threads in one month -- like one that says "Hey, check out how tf2maps contributed to the latest maps in game" and one that says, "these are also great maps which are showcase worthy".

And if that means we go a month or two later on down the road where nothing is particular showcase worthy (whether Valve goes into an acceptance dry spell, or just nobody is working on anything exciting), so be it.

The point of these threads is to acknowledge quality work, whether it gets in game or not. And I think they've been doing a pretty good job of that.