Neat idea, can't figure out how to make it work.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by 404UNF, Nov 29, 2010.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    So I had this neat idea for the map I'm making for my server (which happens to be an idle map). I've already got sound playing buttons down, but I thought to myself "What else could I tie to a button?"

Then it hit me; FIRE!

I want to set up a perimeter of fire shooting entities that deal fire damage (as if you got hit by a Pyro), and are controlled via a button in my admin room. The fire would shoot up from the floor, and would be placed around the outer edge of the central area of my map. Essentially I would wait until people are battling in the area, then I'd hit the button, triggering the fire, and scare the crap out of them.

I found a few entities with "fire" in the name and set up several buttons that control these entities on a test map. One entity was the fire, and the other was a fire source entity thing.

When I hit the button(s)....nothing :(. Is setting something like this up possible? I'm really getting into setting up traps in maps, such as traps controlled by a touch-activated button hidden in the floor, or controlled by a button (such as a disappearing bridge or pitfall).

---------------------------------------------------------

As well, I was reading up on lighting on the valve developer software wiki and I wanted to set up lighting on my map which would all be controlled by a button (acting as a lightswitch).

However, the wiki stated that doing something like that would not be a good idea. Would it be a good idea to have every light in my map controlled by a button so I could make it pitch black? Or would it cause unnecessary problems?

2. keithgarry

keithgarry L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Last I checked, env_fire doesn't work in TF2. You have to use env_sprite instead. And the fire sprites SUCK.

3. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    Damn. I guess I'll try out env_sprite and see if I can find something that doesn't look completely horrible.

4. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
  5. Pseudo

Pseudo L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    To make the same effect as a Pyro's flamethrower, use a info_particle_system with the particle system named "flamethrower". There's a list of all the particle effects here, if you want to try out a different one such as "burning_torch".

To set a player on fire, use a trigger_multiple or a trigger_hurt with the output OnStartTouch, target entities named !activator via the input igniteplayer. You would then send "Enable" to the trigger and "Start" to the particle when the button is pushed.

Dynamic lighting is very expensive to render. If you just want to make it pitch black, maybe env_screenoverlay or env_fade would be able to do that.