my first map! woot! [wip]

mint onion

L3: Member
Jul 18, 2013
progress has been very slow. i thought i had taken the map to a good point to begin play testing but i'm a bit hesitant. lately, i've spent most my time changing minor things and fighting with the water. i've been looking at it for too long and i think i just need to get some more eyes on it.

anyone that's interested, take a second and give it a quick whirl. let me know what your honest impressions are.

cp_divide_a82.7z

thanks!

Sep 7, 2012
My honest impressions:

Your map is unplayable in standard TF2. While some of the scaling seems ok aesthetically, the scaling is terrible gameplay-wise. There is too much tall playable area, and many of the entrances and exits into each area are tight and narrow and limit your options, while each area is vast and open, making it difficult to cross without being an easy target for enemy snipers. There are too many side routes, too many levels, and the map's layout is not intuitive at all.

I realize that you must have spent ages making this map to the point where it is now, but don't feel bad about abandoning it if that's what it comes to. A lot of the geometry certainly looks cool, and might be fun to play in in some other game, but I don't think it will work for tf2.

mint onion

L3: Member
Jul 18, 2013
thanks for the feedback nightwatch. i think what you've said hit the nail on the head. i had not heard the term "scaling" before and wasn't sure entirely what you were referring to.

after a quick search, i found a great article by grazr on scaling.

aside from my confusing layout (which i think is my map's biggest issue) i had not considered weapon falloff damage at all. unfortunately, i have never payed much attention to that. i've paid some attention to turret placement and fall damage but, the waterholes prevent me from using height to gauge the scaling of my playspaces. i never thought of placing a turret prop in the map and fading it out either, that's a great idea. i will also have to utilize the doorway props in the future to prevent my entrances from getting too tight and wonky.

i never thought to associate these damage numbers as spacial boundaries, which does make a lot of sense if you want the level to harmonize with the game mechanics. i look forward to thinking more about it.