My contest contender: cp_spywinder

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
The map looks awesome and you certainly got what worked on the inspirational/concept image and translated it to gameplay.

I`m dumbfounded by the crash though, wish I could help. Does it happen after a couple of minutes or is it tied to number of players? Is it possible to be player activated, as if someone fires a rocket someplace it crashes or is it something server-related.

unfortunately it`s hard to nail it down with our resources.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I hope you're going to make a nicer particle effect for where that lava hits the water, some nice sparks and a LOT more steam should do it.

Almost looks like a new map, I've never actually played a full game on it( :blushing:) but it looks really different from what I remember

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
You can try to ask a valve map developer, or a valve staff member for help, mayby one of them knows.

I really want to play a full game on this map! :p

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Well, I did contact VALVe about it, they said they'd try to check it out but I wouldn't blame them if they don't find the time. As to a complete reworking, I'm thinking of taking some of the themes and using them in a new map, one that's based off of whatever new map type is coming with the heavy update.

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
have you tried to play the map with only the brushes?
Just copy the brushes and redo all the entities and stuff, because if its a problem with the brushes i might know a last solution, make a bsp file of you're map with only the brushes, than rename it to a .txt file, this sound weird but you got you're complete map coding, know you can search if there something weird in there. it worked for my map 2

bobby1211

L2: Junior Member
Jun 28, 2008
This is just a shot in the dark but it may help your crashing. I had an issue where there was a block of space that if I ran through it in game, the game would crash. If you have this experience and can narrow it to a space causing the issue try this:

In hammer go to 'Map' then 'Entity Report' This will give you a list of entities in your map. Double click on each one and it will take you to that entity in your map. If it takes you to an area that is not utilizing that entity, you can delete it from the report there. (going one by one may be worth it, will def take less time then a complete rebuild)

Mine turned out to be doors that I had created and then deleted the models. The Func_door was still there and whenever it made contact with a player it crashed. I deleted it and all was well.

I hate to hear that good maps are crashing for unknown reasons. I imagine it quite frustrating. Good luck!

-Bobby

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Great to see someone trying to help, I'd be really happy if these ideas worked! :)

ArsenaL

L1: Registered
Jun 7, 2008
well i wasnt around for this trend of stuff but this is what you said was in your last update...

NEW VERSION:
cp_spywinder_gamedayx (Come play this weekend!)
Changes:
Optimization
Detail tweaking/removal
Paths changed a little
New scout routes
Clipping
Custom decals (you may like or you may not, this weekend decides whether I keep 'em or not)

i had a problem in the map i'm making now where it would crash right when the game finished loading. The problem I had was i assigned func_physbox to some stuff and make them non-solids.. apparently i did it wrong and that's what caused my .bsp to be corrupted.. and would cause me to crash when i load it. I had a similar problem with decals/logos last week.

i'd say save a copy of the one you have.. then go backwards one thing at a time that you added/changed and just delete it completely.. and run the game without vis or rad. just keep doing that until you can find the thing that is making your BSP corrupt.

Just4theLord

L1: Registered
Jan 18, 2009
Is their a reason you are using a light to make it look like lava?? isn't their a lava texture for that I am sorry I am new to hammer but most level editors have lava texture don't they???

Please let me know I am very curious about making lava in my map ?

steam name is
Stomper

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
No, there is no lava texture in TF2. Someone did one that feels reasonably TF2y, though (you can find it on this site).

If you want your lava to glow, you will need the light anyway (that, or custom .rad settings, but that's outside Hammer).