Models from other sources in TF2?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Zanny77, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Zanny77

Zanny77 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi there.
    I'm currently working on a modernesque TF2 trade map. I've added in some models within Hammer, and I assume they are from Half-Life 2. I'm at the stage now, however, where when I load up the map, they will appear invisible in game, and I'm not sure where to go or what I should do to pack these files in with the map (most of the groundwork for the map is done, I'm looking to PakRat a beta now).
    Is what I'm trying to do possible? If so, what methods should I use in order to let me import these HL2 models into my map?

2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Hi! HL2 models will work without packing, since they ship with TF2. It sounds like you're using the wrong prop type - eg the model was compiled for use as a prop_dynamic and you're creating it as a p_static so the compiler just ignores the entity. You can check what prop type to use in the model browser in one of the tabs.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  3. Zanny77

Zanny77 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    OK, I did have them as prop_dynamics, so I went and changed them to prop_statics...and the same thing is happening. I also realized it's not all HL2 models, just some of them.
    Some ones that work:
    garbage128_composite001d.mdl
    computer01_keyboard.mdl
    kitchen_stove001a.mdl

Some ones that don't work:
    controlroom_filecabinet002a.mdl
    car_battery01.mdl
    carparts_tire01a.mdl
    bicycle01a.mdl

Also, strangely enough one of my TF2 models (spybot_gib_head.mdl) used to work but stopped working after being converted to prop_static (even though it's just supposed to stay still).

EDIT: Found out I should convert them to prop_physics instead of static or dynamic. They show up, but have physics which I didn't realize I didn't want. Now trying to figure out how to stop that. I don't think prop_physics_override works for what I'm trying to do though.
    EDIT 2: And I found where to fix the EDIT's problem after some picking around haha. Thank you for the help on the way though, Seba.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    There really ought to be a prop_static_override, or the ability to just use any prop as a prop_static, since static props require the least amount of data of any type. I don't get why that isn't a thing yet.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    And I don't get why props checked as physics and statics can still only be used as statics (or dynamic_override)

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Come to think of it, it should definitely be a special override type, because then they could throw in the option to pick any frame from any animation if the model has any.

somebody send this to Valve ASAP

also the ability to cast static shadows from a dynamic prop's starting position so ones that just change skin or have internal animation like the grandfather clock can still have good shadows

7. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    I bet they would have included a prop_static_override long ago if it were possible. But since this props need a special compile option, it probably something you just can't add during a map compile.
    Though dynamic props casting lightmap shadows sound like something that it possible

8. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    I think it is intentional. You aren't supposed to use some props in some ways. These checks are their way of enforcing it.