Modding hl1

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jpr, Jul 20, 2009.

1. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    I'm thinking about starting a hl1 mod... Could someone with experience on the subject tell me where to begin, please?

2. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know anything about it, but the developer.valvesoftware.com site is useally a good site to start at

3. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have a good friend who is working on a current hl1 mod, I can see if he can help you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I would start with a HL2.

Anyway, coding for Source or HL1 is a pain in the ass because it's really bad documented you don't even know where to start.

5. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, I'll bite... I gotta ask... Why bother coding for HL1...? I mean, 10 years ago I could see it... But now? It's obsolete...

Is there any special reason why it would be better to mod HL1 instead of HL2...?

6. SiniStarR

Positive Ratings:
    Well ive had the same impression but, beleive it or not the hl1 community is stil pretty large :O, Games like NS, Sven Co-op, TF, CS are also big. And if you sometimes get the occasional update for hl for mods.

7. DiamonD

DiamonD L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    And so is Source modding, since most people don't go off on the right foot even there. I don't even need to express how many fail mods there are in Mod DB in the HL2 section.

HL1 modding is pretty straight forward, with a decent community and pretty good tools. If you want to start off on the right foot, check out the community in Half-Life Creations. It has tutorials, tools, and people willing to give you help (which include myself).

http://www.half-lifecreations.com/forums/index.php

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. SiniStarR

Positive Ratings:
    i c u registered. This is serious buisness