***Mini Mapping Contest #6 - Spawnroom***

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
I am just posting here to make sure I don't miss anything. I uploaded my room to the upload thread, and I didnt know if I needed to post here to say that I entered.

Apom

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 14, 2008
I like what you've done outside, there's a good feeling to it. I also like the black line between the walls and ceiling, I had never thought of that and must say the effect is interesting (although there is an alignment problem).

However, those windows look extremely unrealistic, you should really make a frame around them because right now they look like they are magically holding. The light switches at unreachable heights and misplaced brush aren't good either. Finally, the wood piles look somewhat out of place, this nice tiled floor doesn't look like that of a storage room.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Altered the ending time to GMT rather than BST (forgot the clocks change this weekend) Don't worry, this just means you get an extra hour working on your spawnroom ;)

Forthex

L2: Junior Member
Aug 2, 2008
I just added my entry to the upload thread, and to the files list. I hope you enjoy my "RED Underground Train Yard" Theme!

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
Youme, innocent bystanders (or jump-happy bystanders at least) can get stuck between your geometry and props.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Youme, innocent bystanders (or jump-happy bystanders at least) can get stuck between your geometry and props.

I hope this wasn't a playerclipping contest, I didn't do any in my spawn.

Jazz

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 9, 2008
Teh Rules said:
Rules:

* Must contain:
1. 16 info_player_teamspawn entities
2. One or more functional garage doors
3. One or more Functional resupply locker
4. A func_respawnroom brush over the entire area of the spawnroom
* Interior only (windows to external vistas are allowed)
* Must submit a minimum of one screenshot, a .vmf and a .bsp
* Must fit either standard Red or Blu theme.
* Maximum of two entries (One Red, one Blu themed)
* Everything must be finished and submitted in the upload thread by the end of October. (That is Noveber 1st, 0:00 AM GMT)

Nope, no playerclipping mentioned.

Apom

Sep 14, 2008
I hope this wasn't a playerclipping contest, I didn't do any in my spawn.
I didn't either. I just figured that if the spawn makes it into an actual map, well it's better to not have your players get stuck. I mean, unlike the previous mini-contest (a building only made for the looks), these ones do have an implicit playability factor in them... I think? Correct me if I'm being stupid.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I didn't either. I just figured that if the spawn makes it into an actual map, well it's better to not have your players get stuck. I mean, unlike the previous mini-contest (a building only made for the looks), these ones do have an implicit playability factor in them... I think? Correct me if I'm being stupid.

This one is a 'Lets see what you can do' we're going to be voting on how good they look and feel. Screenshots, .vmf and .bsp files will be available, please make your vote based on the .bsp and the screenshot quality rather than the .vmf quality. The .vmf however will be available for you to use as a prefab if you wish (but the use as a prefab is not the aim of the contest).

Looks like playerclipping can count negatively if it (or lack of) allows you to get stuck. Since playability wasn't the main aim and detail was its your call whether you let playerclipping affect the way you vote or not.