Mapping Help

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Recon & Toaster, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Recon & Toaster

Recon & Toaster L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    G'day everyone!

I am glad to of joined this forums & I desperately need your help! (Correct me if this is the wrong place to post this) I need some help getting the basic skills to create a TF2 Map. I've got a few ideas up my sleeves already.

I've got Source Hammer installed on my PC, but apparently you need a program which tells you what game you are designing the map for, so far I've only found Counter Strike. Is there a TF2 program for Source yet?

I'm sorry if this is a bit jumbled up, I was in a rush.

Cheers
    -Recon & Toaster

2. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    Since you're just starting out, I'd recommend Crash's video tutorial series for the basics. His first episode covers how to configure Hammer for TF2:

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. ibex

aa ibex

Positive Ratings:
    The whole tutorial section is a little hidden at the moment from the site restruction, but here's another resource (gives you lots of links to search around the site and other sites). The list can be a little daunting, but read a few articles and look around.

Here are two I thought would be good to have as you start your mapping:
    Valve Developer Community's own resource page for TF2.
    Common mistakes found in beginning maps. (#2, 7, 8 are outdated though)

Oh and why not give you a link to the tutorial section of TF2M: link

4. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Your main problem is very likely that you are using the wrong copy of hammer. Use the copy in the tf2 install directory. Yes, every single player now has hammer.

5. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:
    To clarify, TF2 comes with its own version of hammer that is already set up.
    You can find it here.
    [​IMG]

6. Tuaam

Tuaam L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Here's some other hammer vids: