Map maker needed

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by Endgamer31, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Endgamer31

Endgamer31 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Im new here so forgive me if this is not the place for this. I'm an architecture student and been playing tf2 for 3 years now. I've been getting into map making and have a few maps which I'll be uploading as soon as I get the time to take some screen shots.
    But the main reason for this post is that I've had an amazing idea for a vertical cp map. But I have this awesome vision for it that I don't think my noob skills would do justice to. So I was wondering if any one wanted to help me/take on the role of the map maker while I remained mostly the designer (of course listening to the input of a more experienced mapmaker when I need to). In addition as stated before I'm just a college student so I don't have money to pay someone to do this. It would be purely for that satisfaction of making an awesome map.
    If you would be interested pm me and I can send you some of my sketches as well as some concept ideas that were the inspiration for my idea
    Thanks for your time
    Endgamer 31

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Your best bet here is to learn hammer. I doubt that anyone will agree to work on this project with you, mainly because the actual things done in hammer are like 95% of the work needed to make a map. There are plenty of VDC articles on getting started and getting to know Hammer like the palm of your girlfriend's hand.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    It's gonna be really tough to get someone to take your idea through to a completed map- most mapmakers have a surplus of their own ideas they'd like to get down.

That said, you did the right thing by working on other maps while your 'best' idea lay untouched. I would encourage you to upload those maps you've been working on, get feedback, get better, and then you'll be able to make that awesome map yourself :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Being nice, I'll say, unless you're employing someone, you should just get to it and make it yourself.
    With hard work and time spent, a truly great geometry will make a truly great map. As you learn along the way, the quality of detailing will eventually hit the standards as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Endgamer31

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the feedback. I assumed that this was the sort of answer I would get but I was hoping against how that there was some map maker out there who just couldn't come up with a good idea lol. Oh well. I hand started learning hammer as I said and lll defiantly get my current maps in their various stages of completion up so I can get feed back and hopefully one day be able to do this on my own :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. zastels

zastels L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey I'll do it : )

I've been mapping 11 years now and just thought I'd pop by and look for a thread like this.

I would be interested in hearing your idea. We can talk on IRC/Vent/Skype/MSN just send me a private message of how to contact you.

7. Endgamer31

Positive Ratings:
    In case anyone else is interested Zastels has backed out on making the map so the position is still open

8. possiblylethal

possiblylethal L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'd be interested in helping anyone who needs help making maps and if you PM me the details i'd be happy to help.

9. Morgantao

Morgantao L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not a pro map maker myself, but I have made maps over the years for several games, including one for TF2.
    I would be happy to look at your idea, and who knows, maybe i'll be able to help you.
    Actually, it'd be fun to make it togather. I find that it's sometimes easier to learn map making with a partner - we can bounce ideas, we can share the labour, etc.

PM me if you want, and we'll see if your idea is feasible.

10. Endgamer31

Positive Ratings:
    thanks to all that replied. me and lethal have turned into a pretty good team so i think ill be good for now.