CTF Mann's Land [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrytin

L2: Junior Member
Jun 10, 2015
So first of all I just gotta say, this is a beautiful map! and an insanely accurate representation (I hope that's the right word) of the original map. This map would do great in TF2, because its finally an original ctf map! Not that the other ctf maps are "original" per SE. Though there is one major problem I had while playing.
Apparently if you get killed by the train, the train drags the flag with it into its inaccessible tunnel. Here's some screenshots of what it looks like:
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how to fix this, mainly because my Intel on trains and moving stuff is slim. Still, hope this helps! :p

I was hitherto not in the know about func_respawnflag, but after looking at the Doublecross decompile, I have added it to the end of the visible tunnels. This issue should be resolved in the next version of the map.

Edit:
re: optimization

I think you have enough structures at your disposal to hint the map better than you might think. One thing you should definitely do is place nodraw brushes inside your cliffwall props and displacements. This will let you create hints around those nodraw brushes. There's also the option of occluder, which could work pretty okay in a few areas, since I'm assuming most of the cliffs are props.

A few other things you should consider:
Using prop fades! I can't find any on your map and they are very important. If you do have any, I promise you can be far more aggressive with them and get away with it.
Skybox brushes can also be very helpful when it comes to configuring your map for hinting. If you're a little new to that kind of stuff, I've found this guide by mangycarface to be very helpful.

I do see what you mean by it being potentially difficult, especially at mid, but if you're creative enough, I think you'll be able to squeeze some water out of this stone.

The canyon does in fact have nodraws around it, and as a matter of fact, it is one of the few exterior areas that is fairly well hinted. I also do have prop fades, however they are largely limited to the different yards and have fade in distances equal to the maximum distances from which they can be seen, which I measured for each one. I haven't looked too far into occluders, though I do think it would probably be helpful once I can figure out how to properly implement them. Thank you very much for the guide though. I'll definitely see what I can do with it before the next version.

Last edited:

chrytin

L2: Junior Member
Jun 10, 2015
This version includes fixes to some of the issues that were found during the playtests, as well as integration of some of the assets provided by PJX in his 3cp recreation of classic Badlands. Performance and lighting are still problems and likely will never be resolved. As it stands this is the final version and I don't have any plans to continue development. Thank you to everyone who has contributed throughout the process.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Status
Not open for further replies.