LOZ Dungeon Eagle

IMD007

L1: Registered
Sep 15, 2008
This is my first released TF2 map, and is a 3D recreation of the first dungeon of Legend of Zelda for the NES.

I tried to keep the feel of Zelda in tact while making it fun to play (albeit a bit tight-quarters) in TF2. I'm still debating on whether to keep the CP in the West room, or changing it over to the underground room in the North (where you get the bow in the original Zelda).

If this map catches on, I'll probably make the other 7 dungeons (which will be easy considering they will almost all be copy/paste).

All comments/feedback are welcome.

Last edited:

IMD007

Sep 15, 2008
I can't decide whether this is a good idea or not. On the one hand the fan service is FREAKING AWESOME, but on the other I imagine it'll play terribly as a TF2 map.

Either way, that first picture is pure geek sex wee.

I've playtested it a bit with a small group of friends (very small, so I have no idea how a big crowd would handle), and the rounds definitely go faster than any other arena map I've seen due to size and the clustered layout.

I've looked through the other Zelda maps, and there are many better ones for the purpose of TF2, so I may get one of those out soon.

Also thanks about the statues, those things took way too long to make. :laugh:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I don't think this would fit TF2 gameplay that well either.

But what the hell, it's awesome anyway! :D

Flawless

Apr 19, 2009
HAHA this is pure win! 8) One way of making it more game playwise would be to little bit custom it by making some more sightblocks and tunnels.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah I think customizing the layout a bit is a good idea too. The layout doesn't really have to fit the original dungeon does it? The original layout was never meant to be, and never was played in 3D so I doubt anyone would spot the difference.

chickenm4n

Nov 27, 2009
Yeah I think customizing the layout a bit is a good idea too. The layout doesn't really have to fit the original dungeon does it? The original layout was never meant to be, and never was played in 3D so I doubt anyone would spot the difference.

that is the most ridiculous statement i've ever seen.

this is probably the single most instantly recognized level layout in the history of games.

if there was a discrepancy, i'd be pissed!

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
I think the first level of Super Mario Bros. is more recognizable than the first dungeon of TLoZ, but that's my opinion.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Where are the spawns placed? Assuming they're placed properly this might work well as a TF2 map. There also needs to be a full ammo pack placed in the bow room, not just a healthkit, and there need to be more items placed throughout.

Also, there are eight more dungeons. And does it play the original music?

Last edited:

IMD007

Sep 15, 2008
Where are the spawns placed? Assuming they're placed properly this might work well as a TF2 map. There also needs to be a full ammo pack placed in the bow room, not just a healthkit, and there need to be more items placed throughout.

Also, there are eight more dungeons. And does it play the original music?

The red team spawns in the bottom left (left of the room with the statues), and the blue team spawns in the east wing, to try to make it an even distance to the center and the CP.

And I actually looked around for a good tutorial on how to add background music (didn't try here actually, so if there is one here I'll look it up) so it doesn't have music yet, but I did add original sounds for pushing the 2 movable blocks and opening doors (so pushing the block triggers the pushing sound, the block finishing movement triggers the zelda secret sounds).

chickenm4n said:
that is the most ridiculous statement i've ever seen.

this is probably the single most instantly recognized level layout in the history of games.

if there was a discrepancy, i'd be pissed!

Which is why this particular map shall remain how it is (layout-wise), however, I started a new map today which will consist of all the textures, sounds, other retro goodies that this map has, but with a custom layout for more balance/TF2 playability, we'll see how that turns out.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
This might actually work better as an Attack/Defend map than an Arena map.