"Loading Resources" crash

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Jeremy, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    All of my Source games have been working fine for a few years now, and then this happens. Whenever I try to make a listen server for any Source game (I've tried Team Fortress 2, Garry's Mod and Counter-Strike: Source) the game will get to "Loading Resources" before freezing for a few minutes and then quitting to desktop. It doesn't give me an error or anything. I haven't changed anything in the game files, and I haven't installed any addons for any of the games for ages. This happens on any map I choose, including official ones.

This problem cropped up a couple of days ago and it looks like it isn't going to fix itself.

I've tried reinstalling the games, creating a fresh new install, validating files and defragging game data (no problems there), and I've looked everywhere on Google - none of the (few) solutions I found have worked. I'm at a complete loss now. What's causing this and how do I fix it? halppls

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  2. Jeremy

Positive Ratings:
    Nnn-nope. Still not working.

3. MarcoPixel

MarcoPixel L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have that bug too, i cant load any map in TF2 anymore (because it creates an listen server with map X) and its getting really annoying. Hope there is any fix.

Greets,
    Marco

4. Jeremy

Positive Ratings:
    Despite the overwhelming support I've recieved from the community, I still haven't managed to find a working solution.

I've created a fresh new install for TF2 and I've tried using -autoconfig. I've also tried using -dxlevel 81. None of those have worked. I have no trouble making a dedicated server, but I don't want to have to keep copying files over and starting it up (it takes ages) just so I can test my map for the two seconds it takes to discover a serious problem.

I've done a bit more hunting around the internets and I still haven't found a working solution. Please help.

(please... anybody...)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  5. Jeremy

Positive Ratings:
    okay it turns out it was something to do with the ports, I just had to forward ports 27015-20 and somehow that fixed it anyway this can be closed now

6. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    So what did you do to fix, I am able to join and play online servers but I cant load a map from console

7. MarcoPixel

MarcoPixel L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Try to get out of the Steam Beta, even if youre not in one. Helped me and now it works again.

8. Jeremy

Positive Ratings:
    Not too long ago the ports I forwarded closed themselves for some reason (as in the settings got deleted - not sure how). I don't know if that had anything to do with this crash but forwarding those ports again seemed to do the trick for me.

For future reference the ports I opened were 27000-27015, both TCP and UDP, not 15-20 as I mentioned earlier.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  9. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    Well it seemed not being in the steam beta fixed it XD