Linking an elevator to capture progress?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by NanoSquid, Oct 6, 2010.

1. NanoSquid

NanoSquid L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I want to have my cp on an elevator. I'd like for the elevator to travel up as BLU captures, move back down when they're knocked off, and lock at floor 2 when capped. I looked at payload setup to try and figure out how to link movement of objects to capture progress, but I was a bit confused. Could someone break it down for me?

2. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Use the OnStartTeam2 output to send StartForward to the tracktrain and OnBreakTeam2 to send StartBackward.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  3. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    You'll also need to count the number of blue players on the CP and adjust the train's speed.

4. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Also, elevators in TF2 is generally a bad idea, due to glitchyness caused by ping and other factors.

5. NanoSquid

Positive Ratings:
    Duly noted, but it doesn't go that high, and its inside a small building so snipers won't be trying to headshot people capping it etc. Plus I wanted defense to have more than one way to defend the point-- they can neglect the first floor completely and defend from the second floor exclusively, or vice versa. If it turns out to be a gameplay issue I'll simply raise the elevator after capturing rather than during.

6. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    What valve says is, elevators in multiplayer aren't best idea due to simplified physics (for an instance, characters can "warp" up instead of going up smoothly)

7. NanoSquid

Positive Ratings:
    I know all of the problems with elevators, I really just want to see how it will work as a gameplay centerpiece. Besides, you can tell me elevators are a bad idea all day long, but valve made Hightower.

8. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Valve, I hope you're happy. You've created a monster. A monster named Elevators.

9. Jayden

Jayden L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Oh yeah, valve went there.

10. matou

matou L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm... if thats the case i think i now know what caused the strange pings on gameday for my map xD blehhhhh.

11. NanoSquid

Positive Ratings:
    And after a long session in hammer in which I finally got it to work, I've decided that it actually would play better as a normal point. Thanks for your help as usual guys. :)

12. Jayden

Jayden L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:

Bah, no adventure

13. NanoSquid

Positive Ratings:
    Oh don't worry, there will be adventure. It's a custom style of a/d Similar to Steel.