Leak I can't find?

Mar 23, 2013
Ok, no wonder VVIS craped itself. Despite the map being small, a huge amount of visleaf were generated.
fP0nWRX.png

This happens when you have many small brushes, that aren't func_detail. The purpose of func_detail is to prevent generating a massive amount of those leafs due to small brushes.

First, make steps of stairs 16 units high instead of 8.

Now make the stair like this:

Fc9StkS.png

The green brushes are func_detail and will be ignored by visleafs, but the blue brushes are solid brushes so your map is sealed from leaks. Now there will be a single leafe covering the entire stair.

I also like to do stairs like this:

JZoBvv0.png

the back of the stairs is nodraw'd of course

Here a poorly drawn demonstration of how func_detailing your brushes optimizes visleafs:
The Blue box are supposed to be visleafs

T5me1nP.png

Remember, visleafs ignore all kinds of entities, so func_detail on small brushes prevents unneeded tiny visleafs, but they also do not seal your map so the basic geometry of the level should stay solid world brushes.

Polar-Star

L1: Registered
Jun 6, 2017
Ok, no wonder VVIS craped itself. Despite the map being small, a huge amount of visleaf were generated.
fP0nWRX.png

This happens when you have many small brushes, that aren't func_detail. The purpose of func_detail is to prevent generating a massive amount of those leafs due to small brushes.

Fc9StkS.png

The green brushes are func_detail and will be ignored by visleafs, but the blue brushes are solid brushes so your map is sealed from leaks. Now there will be a single leafe covering the entire stair.

JZoBvv0.png

Here a poorly drawn demonstration of how func_detailing your brushes optimizes visleafs:

T5me1nP.png

Remember, visleafs ignore all kinds of entities, so func_detail on small brushes prevents unneeded tiny visleafs, but they also do not seal your map so the basic geometry of the level should stay solid world brushes.

Thanks for the help and for the tip!

Polar-Star

Jun 6, 2017
fP0nWRX.png

Fc9StkS.png

JZoBvv0.png

T5me1nP.png

I have another issue now, I can see the insides of buildings, how do I fix this?
20170610015507_1.jpg
20170610015347_1.jpg

Mar 23, 2013
Either by changing the design, making the walls higher (raise them to the ceiling) so player cant look over them, or try to use an area_portal at the entrance to the hall way. I recommend the former.

Last edited:

Polar-Star

Jun 6, 2017
Either by changing the design, making the walls higher (raise them to the ceiling) so player cant look over them, or try to use an area portal at the entrance to the hall way. I recommend the former.

Well, I have no idea how to make a portal. So I'll have to redesign my map

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Again, don't try to hide things behind skybox brushes. You're trying to hide something behind nothing. Build actual walls, even if they're just basic, temporary ones.