Resource icon

KotH koth_tropic b2

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
This is for the version koth_tropic_b1a

I had a look on this map and here are my notes. One of the first things that came to mind is the underpass route that goes under the point to the other side of the map. The one that has big health and ammopack there with water inside all the way. I can see use case for it but I can also see it just odd long way to try to flank the other team. If its really needed or not, i'm not sure but definitely not a fan of it in its current form.

Perhaps it would be more interesting if you could drop down there from the point too. Like opening the shed near the point there for a dropdown but hard to actually get back up, like with only soldier or demoman could get up with rocket or sticky. By this dropdown you could only need to get out from "half" of the tunnel. Then again if its for the flank and if the point is already controlled by enemy, then they can cut defenders route too completely. Just throwing ideas out there, do as you see fit with it.

See image #1 - Maybe these health and ammo packs could be scattered more. Like to the upper side or more far to the left towards the staircase. Though on the top of the staircase that leads to topside had also more health there. I'm not sure if its all needed or in the right spot. Just something to keep in mind.

Image #2 - Not a big fan of this sightline. The one that controls the top side where I am standing can also easily control the point from up here if they can just hold the upper area. Getting there as RED if BLU is holding it already is kind of hard. I would actually suggest that you block off this area in image #3 marked with RED square. Build a wall there that only like scouts could jump from balcony to another with double jump. Divide the area as 2 separate areas. If you want to keep the visual "cafe area", you could extend it around the areas shown in image #2 at the wall right side as a visual thing, kind of dividing it to 2 but there would be that wall inbetween them. As said, the one who controls the top seems like easily can propably hold the point too. So if you make it harder to reach from side to another, its more like a risk & reward, not just who got the biggest weapons and that area in control. This is just one thing that may be usefull or not. Up to you.

Image #3 - Could this bell ring on point capture or is it there just for visuals.

Image #4 - This door is kind of off scale (too big) among with its RED partner at the other side.

Image #5 - This pier is annoyingly high. Maybe you could lower it and/or move it more to the water side so players wouldnt need to jump over it and could just move more freely.

I didnt take screenshot from the spot but framerate might become issue at some point when you watch from higher spot to the other side of the map. Its just something to keep in mind when you are in later stages and add details and such to make it more visual. The map also seemed a bit too purple in my eye, also kind of dark in some areas. Perhaps this is something you can improve in later versions.

The map also feels like it does have less space horizontally than some of the other maps i've seen. Maybe its just me and it isnt a bad thing, just calling as I feel it. Some maps like viaduct arent that big either horizontally. Looking forward for future versions on how it develops. Good luck with the map!

Attachments

• koth_tropic_b1a0008.jpg
    koth_tropic_b1a0008.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 13
  • koth_tropic_b1a0010.jpg
    koth_tropic_b1a0010.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 14
  • koth_tropic_b1a0022.jpg
    koth_tropic_b1a0022.jpg
    961.9 KB · Views: 12
  • koth_tropic_b1a0018.jpg
    koth_tropic_b1a0018.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 14
  • koth_tropic_b1a0012.jpg
    koth_tropic_b1a0012.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 12

Entropy (She/Her)

L1: Registered
Nov 17, 2023
The map also seemed a bit too purple in my eye, also kind of dark in some areas.

You are the second person to tell me its purple and I dont get why cuz other people see the lights as they are suppose to be. I will take a look at the rest of the advices so thanks uwu

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
I think its the overall lighting from light_environment or then you have different light settings for regular and hdr. I do have hdr on. The map looks to me as it is in the screenshots. If that is what you are aiming for, then thats ok and its not too purple.