koth_Shaft

KotH koth_Shaft b1c

Dec 4, 2021
The Ottoboy updated koth_Shaft with a new update entry:

Shaft update

- made an access to the bottom area of the dm zone

- retextured the doors that open on enemy capture to indicate the fact that it is locked

- halved the speed of the minecart

- fixed an issue where players could see a crack through a brush at the main dropoff area

- made some lights dimmer

- fixed an issue with the arrow on the board on blu side not showing up

- added a minecart at THAT obvious inaccessable area to make it more clear that it is inccessable

Read the rest of this update entry...

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
This is for the map koth_shaft_b1c

Interesting looking map, placed into a mine. Looks like its still in early stages so i wont go into visuals that much. I liked the moving minecart there, but i kept wondering why it goes only one way. Perhaps it could randomly move to another way too. Then I tested if I can block it without dying and i could. If i stand here right at the exit side of it, when it approaches me, it doesnt kill me but gets stuck there untill i move away from it. (See image #1)

See image #2 - you have to mark which of these doors are the actual exits out of the spawn. I get that there needs to be direct connected route between the 2 spawn areas but does it have to look the same as the exit doors? Does it need to be a door even? Seemed confusing to me. One of these routes that goes to the lowest way to the point itself seems kind of long. Does it has to be that long? Maybe there is a way to shorten it a bit.

Image #3 - I dont like these kind of obstacles. There are some more similar to these on the edges of the map at the other side near the shafts. Places that seem like you can fit through but you are blocked by clip brush. You could make these visual blocks more obvious so players do not get mistaken or try to go by obstacles like these.

Image #4 - I once received feedback from a Valve level designer on one of my maps. They called spots like this "swiss cheese" and I get the same feeling here. Its hard to know where the enemy is coming from and where to go. You can basically go anywhere and yet anyone can come from anywhere. Maybe some more clearer routes would be in order. I would for instance, block the roof part (brown and blue roof) with fence or similar, so that from there you cannot reach the health pack. You could see it but not drop down. Go from the either side to get it if you need it. So its a risk to go from either side and not get blown to pieces from the top.

You could rethink if every route is really needed and make it more clear to players where to go. Yes there are big arrows but also the map can guide the player too. The main thing is finding the point and its sometimes hard to find the fastest route to the point itself, unless you know the map out.

I cannot say what direction to lead this map to, but you should do as you see best and listen others feedback too. You have mostly the basics in place, just needs some more work and experiment and testing. Maybe you can make the point a bit more interesting too. Why do they need to capture just that area, could there be a really big shaft under the point visually? Just throwing it out there.

You are more of a new map maker than experienced one, but you only learn by making more maps and fixes through trial and error. Nobody is perfect at the start but if you keep up with mapping, you will definitely develop more on that. Good luck with the map!

Attachments

• koth_shaft_b1c0005.jpg
    koth_shaft_b1c0005.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 9
  • koth_shaft_b1c0003.jpg
    koth_shaft_b1c0003.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 9
  • koth_shaft_b1c0001.jpg
    koth_shaft_b1c0001.jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 9
  • koth_shaft_b1c0000.jpg
    koth_shaft_b1c0000.jpg