aa
Sep 11, 2013
okay, so beta one is out now.
download it

a3 to b1:
- texturing is done
- ability to get into the opponent's spawn removed
- ramp into the egypt area is protected
- a lot of func_detailing that should result in a performance increase, however minor
- spawn rooms shuffled around
- one way doors on side paths removed
- fixed a lot of textures not aligning right
- probably other stuff

to-do:
- displacements
- maybe make spawn prettier
- fix egypt door noises

here are some screenshots for your time

koth_seismic_b10007.jpg

koth_seismic_b10000.jpg

koth_seismic_b10001.jpg

koth_seismic_b10002.jpg

koth_seismic_b10003.jpg

koth_seismic_b10004.jpg

koth_seismic_b10005.jpg

koth_seismic_b10006.jpg

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Really steep looking stairs:
koth_seismic_b10006.jpg

Couple of dev textures still:
koth_seismic_b10008.jpg

These stairs look ugly with this texture, they also need clipping:
koth_seismic_b10009.jpg

Testing didn't go too well seeing as there was only 6 players...but it did feel balanced with those 6 :p

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
Upper part looks nice, but it was not used that much. Maybe because there was only about 6 players.

Lower floor looks a bit too blocky for me.

Can't say anything about balance, it is mirrored, so it have to be balanced. Don't know if snipers are pretty good because there is a long sightline on lower floor.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll probably have a new version out soonish with some changes.

Apr 13, 2009
I think there's a layout problem in that going through the spawn is required to access the upper part of the map. That's why I barely used it, basically all you can do there is drop down on the point. It's a shame because it is actually looking nice, unlike some of the stuff below :p
Sightlines, well, there wasn't anyone really interested in playing sniper during the playtest, but had there been a good one they would probably have done well. I mean there is a very open middle, and no real way to dislodge a sniper from his own base except with a counter-sniper, because there is no flanking route that can go all the way to the sniping ledge without either crossing middle (something even a spy might have trouble doing with one full stock of cloak) or going through the enemy spawn. So add some cover on the middle platform (metal fences or something), and a route that goes from outside the spawn into the upper area. In fact what you could do is make the current spawn area accessible by both teams and move the actual spawn a little further behind.

I also noticed that some people didn't seem to realize that the capture area is actually very small. Visually it feels like the whole platform is part of the capture area but it's not. Please consider delimiting the actual capture area with yellow stripes or something. IT should probably be bigger as well.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Oh, jeez, I just realized the hazard stripes broke in b1. I didn't even notice. Thanks a ton.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
This is how big the capture zone is:
middle.PNG

I think I will make it larger and see how that works.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
B2 is out!

download it here!

Changelog:
Displacements on the cliffs and in the hole
Added a new side route to the top side
Increased the cover on the point/broke a large sightline
Adding a few signs
Fixed broken hazard striping
Fixed some broken textures
Doors on top removed entirely
Probably other stuff I forgot

Screenshots:

New side route:
koth_seismic_b20000.jpg

koth_seismic_b20001.jpg

koth_seismic_b20002.jpg

koth_seismic_b20003.jpg

New capture zone size and cover added:
koth_seismic_b20004.jpg

koth_seismic_b20005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
So I am having some trouble.

Depending on how gameday goes, the next version could either be RC or B3. But there is something that I've neglected since A1 that I need to take care of: the drill.

koth_seismic_b10000.jpg

koth_seismic_b20004.jpg

(First is B1, second is B2.)

It hangs from the platform via two pipes. That looks weird. But I don't really know how else to suspend it. I've added, in various combinations: more pipes from the side walls, wires, lattices, etc. Does anyone have ideas for this that could help me out?

Hopefully I can finalize this map soon, even though no one seems to play it. :[

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
So I am having some trouble.

Depending on how gameday goes, the next version could either be RC or B3. But there is something that I've neglected since A1 that I need to take care of: the drill.

It hangs from the platform via two pipes. That looks weird. But I don't really know how else to suspend it. I've added, in various combinations: more pipes from the side walls, wires, lattices, etc. Does anyone have ideas for this that could help me out?

Hopefully I can finalize this map soon, even though no one seems to play it. :[

try something like this
Untitled-43.jpg

make the drill mechanism continue thru the platform and be supported on columns on either side of the deathpit

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Hm... I never thought of putting something through the platform. That could be it, thank you!

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
So this is on gameday again! I want people report any weird things they find and comment on the added path to the Egypt area, the new cover on the point, and anything else. If this test goes well, I'll probably be adding some more detail and then making it an RC.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Disp seams here.
This pathway was quite useless.
Clip your doors; getting stuck on the while hugging the wall isn't fun.

I can't say that I like this map. The top and bottom seem like two completely different maps, so either one is used or the other (Egypt-themed top is more fun, imo). I think that completely removing the top wouldn't hurt at all; in fact, it'd tie the map together (currently, you have no connection between the Egypt-themed part and the bottom gameplay area).

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Disp seams here.
This pathway was quite useless.
Clip your doors; getting stuck on the while hugging the wall isn't fun.

I can't say that I like this map. The top and bottom seem like two completely different maps, so either one is used or the other (Egypt-themed top is more fun, imo). I think that completely removing the top wouldn't hurt at all; in fact, it'd tie the map together (currently, you have no connection between the Egypt-themed part and the bottom gameplay area).

Which doors? Center building under spawn?

That pathway was meant to provide another way to get to the surface besides through the spawn because a lot of people wanted one. Do you think I should have made something else? Pushed spawn back and left the current one intact?

Sergis, you may have just designed the map I was trying to make. I might shelve this for the time being and create that later... not sure.

Thanks, both of you.

Anyone else?

Edit: Man, Sergis, the more I look at that the more I think you're right. Ugh, that's a lot of work. I wish I could thank your post twice, though. That means I could actually use the drill the way it's intended to be used, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Here's B3, for anyone that liked this map a lot.

This is better optimized and adds some detail rooms. Most displacement/texture bugs ought to be fixed as well.

I've had this for a while without releasing it because I was going to do what Sergis suggested, but the more I think about it the more that may as well be a new map. So it will be... maybe. All I know is I want this available. In any case, consider development on this to be on hiatus. Whether or not Sergis' suggestion becomes Seismic B4 or a new map, my life is a bit more busy currently and I don't have enough time.