KotH koth_helix

Jan 20, 2010
Meanwhile, I expect whole area around the cap point to be a battleground. I have only played this with at most three other players, so I don't know how it will play with more players. I hope to find out on Tuesday's gameday.

What area around the cap? There's a small hallway leading into it and then a square hallway leading into a square room. With 24 people on the server, it is going to be incredibly overcrowded.

I also don't mean just one person camping the exits. There can very easily be two people camping the two exits, or just two heavies standing in front of the doorways into the cap area just mowing anyone down who tries to go in. It's just *far* too enclosed. You really need to open it up and expand on the layout.

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
Here's some questions for those who were in the Game Day yesterday:

Somebody said in this thread that the inside is too dark. Does it seem too dark to you?

Somebody else in this thread said that the area around the control point s too small. Would it help if I enlarge the room with the control point and widen the halls around it?

You guys seemed more interested in trying to fall to the bottom of the rock before hitting the trigger_hurt. Should I use clip brushes to keep players inside the game play area to eliminate that metagame, or raise the rail just high enough that the players can't simply jump up there, but must crouch-jump if they want to suicide?

Here's some things I plan to do to address issues brought up by the testers:

I plan to open up the control point a little bit, as described above.
I will enlarge the capture area.
I will either clip the players into the game play area, or raise the rail a little bit, as described above.
I will move the respawn barrier to the outer doorway and add a resupply cabinet just inside to reduce respawn camping.
I will attempt to make the rock look better.
I will mark where the ammo and health appear.

Is there any issue I'm missing here?

Empyre

Feb 8, 2011
I have released koth_helix_b4. I made all of the changes I listed in the post above, except I decided not to change the rail.

Empyre

Feb 8, 2011
I have released koth_helix_b5!

In koth_helix_b5, I made these changes:
completely redesigned the spawn rooms so both teams have a spawn on top and on bottom, linked by teleport
removed the resupply cabinets that were just inside the spawn room doors
changed the lighting to (hopefully) make it easier to identify a player's team
made the ramps wider, with even more open area at each door
added more signs
made the capture point look better
a little bit of optimization

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
to elaborate on my "needs cover and rooms and heightvariantion and stuff" feedback ,heres an example of what you could do to make the map less primitive
koth_helix_b50005.jpg

right now the map is just too basic imo. you need some more interesting geometry

Empyre

Feb 8, 2011
Thank you for not only posting, but taking the time to make that picture. I'll certainly take into consideration as I give this map such an overhaul that it might even go back into alpha.

Empyre

Feb 8, 2011
I had changed the design away from medieval to a skyscraper, but then I learned that some people are playing this in medieval mode and enjoying it, so I decided to continue developing this as a medieval mode map, while also working on the skyscraper version, which is now named koth_helix_tower.

I have now released koth_helix_b6!

In koth_helix_b6, I made these changes:
eliminated the unpopular teleports
added 2 more ramps, so that each spawn will have 2 exits, even without teleports
redid the mountain with 16 sides instead of 8 sides, so the corners aren't as obvious
doubled the number of torches in the control point room and quadrupled the brightness of the light at the control point, to make that room brighter
made the map a medieval mode map, complete with braziers to ignite arrows
added even more signs