Resource icon

KotH koth_gamejolt a2

TheCrafters001

L1: Registered
Feb 1, 2019
koth_gamejolt - A simple map made for the TF2 community on Game Jolt.

This is a simple map that I am working on for the Team Fortress 2 Community I run on Game Jolt.
I don't know how complex that this map is going to be, but I will have a check list below. Any suggestions for the map is greatly appreciated.

================
Todo list:
[ ] Add team bases
[ ] Add Ammo + Health Packs
[ ] Add Spawn Rooms
[ ] Underground section
[X] Capture point area

================
Screenshots:
20210217142435_1.jpg 20210217142440_1.jpg 20210217142454_1.jpg 20210217142503_1.jpg 20210217142511_1.jpg 20210217142545_1.jpg

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
I like that you've taken the time to use decent textures, doorframes and clipped stairs.

I think a TF2 sky would feel much nicer than that Half Life 2 one, you can find a list of them here:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2_Sky_List

You should increase the capture zone to cover the whole platform, capture triggers that small are annoying as a whole team will need to cluster together. I also don't think there's any reason to nobuild the platform, it barely has much height advantage and could be corner peeked from four doorways easily. Nobuild should only be reserved for spots that are gagging for it, bugfixing, and for consistency - otherwise you'll just annoy players and reduce gameplay potential.

This is definitely too small and simple to go down well in a playtest (might be better suited to Arena?), but keep mapping! When you're happy with your work, visit the Discord and you can get it playtested!

TheCrafters001

Feb 1, 2019
I like that you've taken the time to use decent textures, doorframes and clipped stairs.

I think a TF2 sky would feel much nicer than that Half Life 2 one, you can find a list of them here:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2_Sky_List

You should increase the capture zone to cover the whole platform, capture triggers that small are annoying as a whole team will need to cluster together. I also don't think there's any reason to nobuild the platform, it barely has much height advantage and could be corner peeked from four doorways easily. Nobuild should only be reserved for spots that are gagging for it, bugfixing, and for consistency - otherwise you'll just annoy players and reduce gameplay potential.

This is definitely too small and simple to go down well in a playtest (might be better suited to Arena?), but keep mapping! When you're happy with your work, visit the Discord and you can get it playtested!
I haven't even thought about the Skybox yet, to be honest. I was planning on adding that some time later, but I want to get the main map layout done first. And the map being small is an issue I want to address, but I don't have any good ideas right now. For the capture point, I thought I expanded it to fit the whole platform, but it was just the nobuild trigger, so thank you for pointing that out :)
Speaking of the nobuild, what are good places to put them, aside from the point? I will remove the one from the point, but I am just wondering what good spots would be.
Thank you for your suggestions!

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Don't feel like you have to use nobuild; a lot of maps don't even use it. It should really be used sparingly if ever. Certainly on your map there is nowhere that would warrant it, even on the roof Sentries would be so exposed. Places they're used in official maps are usually just bugfixing (some out-of-bounds areas that are close to the playable space) areas that would naturally be unfair or unfun to fight Sentries in (underwater - almost never just out in the open) or for consistency (some mappers nobuild the tops of certain crates, for instance, or stairs).

TheCrafters001

Feb 1, 2019
I've updated this map. Changes include:
  • Added Spawn rooms (properly lit, missing resupply)
  • Added Buildings for each team (currently has no lighting)
  • Attempted to recenter the map to add the buildings
  • Removed NoBuild trigger on control point
  • Expanded capture area for CP.
As of right now, this is the current todo list:

================
Todo list:
[X] Add team bases (No lighting)
[ ] Add Ammo + Health Packs
[X] Add Spawn Rooms (Missing Resupply)
[ ] Underground section
[X] Capture point area
[ ] Finish texturing
[ ] Add more bumpy terrain

================
Screenshots:
20210304090703_1.jpg 20210304090720_1.jpg 20210304090733_1.jpg 20210304090753_1.jpg 20210304090847_1.jpg 20210304090904_1.jpg 20210304090917_1.jpg 20210304090925_1.jpg

Read the rest of this update entry...