Katsu's Mapping Collection: 2023 Wrap-Up

Katsu! :3

Veteran Cat
aa
Jul 30, 2021
Confused? Check out THIS HYPERLINK!

As the year has come to a close, I decided I wanted to take a bit of a look back on what I did this year in the map collection. I've gone through a lot with the sheet this year, with multiple new pages, many, many new maps, and above all a feeling of having put a lot more work into the sheet overall than I have in previous years. This post is a bit self-centered in a way, since it's just something I'm proud to show off, but I do hope you get some kind of good feeling from seeing funny numbers go up.

General Statistics:
Category​
2022​
2023​
Increase/Decrease​
# of Gamemodes (Total)
382 Gamemodes​
422 Gamemodes​
+40 Gamemodes
# of Gamemodes (Main Only)
191 Main Gamemodes​
217 Main Gamemodes​
+26 Main Gamemodes
# of Mappers
1,332 Mappers​
2,095 Mappers​
+763 Mappers
# of Seals (Total)
170 Seals​
184 Seals​
+14 Seals
# of Seals (Non-Contest Only)
40 Primary Seals​
42 Primary Seals​
+2 Primary Seals
# of entries in WKS
361 Entries​
1,234 (lol) Entries​
+873 Entries in WKS
# of entries in The Name Index
Did not Exist
8,126 Entries​
+8,126 Entries in The Name Index
# of entries in The Chronicle
944 Entries​
3,370 Entries​
+2,426 Entries in The Chronicle
# of entries in "The Lost"
17 Entries​
45 Entries​
+28 Entries :(
# of recorded Updates
5 Updates​
23 Updates​
+18 Recorded Updates
# of Credits
29 Credited People​
63 Credited People​
+34 Credited People
# of Opening Pages
16 Pages​
18 Pages​
+2 Pages
# of Skyboxes Listed
209 Skyboxes​
261 Skyboxes​
+52 Skyboxes
# of Official Maps
147 Official Maps​
183 Official Maps​
+36 Official Maps

Definitely a lot of development, wouldn't you say? Maybe you wouldn't. That's okay though, I'm still very happy with how much has been added within the year! But now, it's time for the unveiling that I'm sure everyone has been waiting for, if there's anything they've wanted from a 2023 wrap-up...

THE MAP ADDITIONS!!!!!!!!!!
Category​
2022​
2023​
Increase/Decrease​
TOTAL MAPS
5,513 Maps
7,027 Maps
+1,514 Total Maps
Attack / Defense Only
507​
660​
+153 A/D Maps
Control Points Only
547​
662​
+115 CP Maps
King of the Hill Only
670​
897​
+227 KOTH Maps
Capture the Flag Only
414​
538​
+124 CTF Maps
Payload Only
519​
626​
+107 PL Maps
Payload Race Only
88​
109​
+21 PLR Maps
Arena Only
202​
246​
+44 Arena Maps
Mann vs. Machine Only
166​
204​
+38 MVM Maps
PASS Time Only
47​
30​
-17 PASS Maps
Player Destruction Only
45​
63​
+18 PD Maps
Wait a second, we hit 7,000 maps!?

Apparently so! I'm very proud to see such an amazing number like that. And it's only gonna keep growing, too! Just like the number of updates, heh... speaking of which, this year was an incredibly big year for BIG updates to the sheet! Let's go down memory lane, shall we?

1703732153842.png

The biggest development of this absolutely has to be the introduction of the Main Page; it's big, it's grand, it's got a lot of info, it's THE main page! I'm very proud with how it turned out, as you can probably tell. The goal of making the Main Page was to give a better experience for the user, as before its introduction there were a lot of people that were very confused on how to traverse the collection. It's got my contact info on it if you ever need to get up with me! The Main Page was added on November 15th, 2023.
GamemodesPage2022.png
-->
GamemodesPage2023.png

2022 2023
The thing I am most proud of though, by far, is the Gamemodes page revamp. It gives so much more information, is way more readable... everything about it is just so vastly improved about it, and I'm so happy that it's such a workable system despite how "complex-looking" it can appear to be. What makes it even better is that you can go to any gamemode page you need to directly from here! It's awesome, and I really appreciate the feedback people like @Sarexicus gave to make its execution the best it can be! The Gamemodes Page Revamp was added on April 12th, 2023.
ExamplePage2022.png
-->
ExamplePage2023.png

2022 2023
With Update 9.0.0, I wanted to improve upon the sheet, but I didn't really know how. At one point, I just asked the TF2Maps community "How can I improve my map sheet before I die?" and interestingly, a lot of feedback was given on the gamemode pages themselves. This resulted in the 2023-U1 Standard Sheet Layout, which you can see on the right. This update contains not only the changes made for the original 2023 Standard Sheet Layout (which was standardizing column widths, as well as include a seal for the name index), but made it so that every gamemode had a header above the categorization columns to better help people just wandering the sheet. Another big thank you must be given to Enderspoons, Notalex, and Gamer X from the TF2Maps discord for their amazing feedback on improving these! The 2023-U1 SSL was introduced on Octobr 29th, 2023.
Skyboxes2022.png
-->
Skyboxes2023.png

2022 2023
Next, I'd like to highlight the updated Skyboxes page; We're currently on the third, and hopefully permanent, revision of the skyboxes page now. This page has always been tricky to manage, as it's very heavy on information and work commitment compared to most of the other pages, as well as it requiring tools that I don't know how to use. So, I'd like you to instead thank April for the amazing skybox images she's made for the map sheet; Without her, the skyboxes page would pretty much not exist, and I would be very lost on how to manage them well. The third revision's goal was to really emphasize the SKYBOX part of the skyboxes page (gasp), making them more visible and easier to search for with the little tokens that you can copy and search with ctrl+f. Skyboxes 3.0 was added on April 12th, 2023.
1703735408828.png

...And that's just about everything major that was added and improved on in the collection. I'm really proud of myself for getting so much done this year, as well as really thankful for all the help I've received others this year. I genuinely could not have improved the collection this much if it were not for people like you helping me out on what has been basically a daily basis. I'm gonna try and keep working as hard as I can to improve the collecting as much as I can! For now though, I hope this is something that'll help you for a long while :)

Before I go though, I do have two little treats for those who have read this far; Below are two editions of the collections. The first is the finalized version of the collection from 2022, and the second is the finalized version of the collection from 2023. As you can probably expect, they're both not as fleshed out as the always-up-to-date version, but I figured it'd be fun to go back and see where this thing came from.
2022: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zXmZ7_Uqh1EBvpQXRT-FIFHuIVUCxy471-2bDF1RPlE/edit?usp=sharing
2023: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FQzdnxQoOWBSP7fKv6Fym-kRPjKDs2OmNY1LDJgPhKk/edit?usp=sharing

As always, thank you for your continued use of the collection.
- Minty "Katsu! :3" Aulenrose

Attachments

• 1703735116917.png
    1703735116917.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

sweglord227

L1: Registered
May 6, 2022
man someone should turn this into a wiki