Is there a way to highlight a prop?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Asd417, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Asd417

aa Asd417 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I saw some props that are not intelligence flag highlighted so I wonder if it is possible to highlight any props just like that (team coloured highlight that can be seen through walls.

2. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    tf_glow is a point entity they recently added to put an outline on a prop. There exists some restrictions though: The glow cannot be seen from other map portals (through most map walls), and the glow cannot be set onto a prop that spawns after the map loads (dynamic entities like a passtime ball).

I've sent in bug reports about these two, but I assume valve has other bigger priorities. If you want though you can also send in a bug report! o_O

You are, at this point, still somewhat better off just to parent objects to flags, or use a team_train_watcher to 'watch' a specific prop, and then use tf_gamerules to force the HUD from PL to something else like CP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Asd417

Positive Ratings:
    So trains arehighlighted automatically?

4. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    No, but trains are able to be spectated specifically, which is what team_train_watcher is for. It's like an outline -it lets you know where the objective is- but only once you're dead!

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  5. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah they are. If you set up at least these keyvalues on the train watcher it will highlight a prop that is parented to the func_tracktrain brush, which can be set on a path but with no speed so it doesn't go anywhere.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Asd417

Positive Ratings:
    On a related note, if I highlight the tug boat from frontline pack and make it a payload, will people understand it?

7. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun

Positive Ratings:
    Probably, if you give some indication as to where the boat would be headed. The greatest concern I would have with that ideas is that two people from opposite teams might stand on the boat, without being able to fire at each other (because there's a part of the boat in the way).

8. Asd417

Positive Ratings:
    I think that can be solved with apporopriate map design.

So to summarize, props can be highlighted in three ways:
    1. tf_glow entity
    2. Train watcher entity that can only glow to spectators,
    3. Flag entity which always glow
    Right?

9. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    The train watcher will successfully render the glow to all clients (including players) that have glows enabled.

10. Powerlord

Powerlord L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    That's a way oversimplification.

team_train_watcher is used to create a Payload track. Everything else is a side effect of how Valve designed the payload goal system.

11. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    I was completely wrong, so I'll just accept that